8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New, dreadful software ... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New, dreadful software ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I were watching a news report today about this new software available to anybody, that allows a person to track another person by use of they're cell phone, anywhere that they are.

Now, we just have a land-line, we've never owned a cell phone to this day (and I have no desire to do so anywhere in the near future), but this is quite a fearful thing ...

Sexual predators getting the numbers of they're victims, whether adults or children ... there will be even more children snatched by vile people in the near future.

Other people that simply want to do harm to others, tracking them to perhaps kill them.

That's not getting paranoid, that's just what is going to happen.

So, I'm really hoping that some smart person out there, (and they will make a butt-load of money if they do) invent software that blocks tracking software on they're phones.

We live in a dark, bloody rotten time.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 01:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That has been my view for a long time Osi. Information, a lot of
it private information, is available to all and sundry. Your financial
history, your employment history, your medical history, your family history, all available to anyone that wants it. Now you are
to be tracked, I'm with you on this, I don't have a mobile phone either, but there is something Orwellian about the whole modern
system of society.

[ August 26, 2013, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Osi and Hugh. The 'digital information revolution' is now totally out of control. There are no checks and balances on confidential personal information, in fact no information is regarded as confidential any more, anything about you is up for grabs. And then you have the majority of people who are addicted to their smart phones, and cannot put them down for 5 minutes, and are perfectly happy to share everything about themselves to anyone and eveyone on Facebook.
You have companies like American Express, Citibank etc. sharing all your personal information to other companies, because it is perfectly legal to do so and they get paid for that information. As for putting my bank account and financial portfolio on my computer or on 'secure' web sites, forget it. If the Pentagon can be hacked , nothing is safe anymore.
I predict that, sooner rather than later, there will be a massive cyberattack and the whole damn system will come crashing down, with all records lost forever, because nothing is on paper anymore.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 03:15 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for putting my bank account and financial portfolio on my computer or on 'secure' web sites, forget it.
Paul, I hate to break this to you but I think all bank data including yours (if you use a conventional bank) is accessible via the internet whether or not you use the internet to access it. It's supposed to be secure but who knows.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If that is the case Bryan, then I think it's high time the public
started fighting back.The banks are breaching confidentiality
if they are guilty of this.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 03:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its big brother, the film 1984 is coming true bit by bit,

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Invasion of privacy? Nah, we ain't got none! This is a serious problem, but I'm wondering if what you saw, Osi, was like a recent news report I viewed where it wasn't just a cell phone, but a GPS-enabled smart phone, plus posts to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, that allowed locations to be tracked - or stalked.

If this is a simple cell phone threat alone, unaided, that one's new to me. And even more disturbing.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 26, 2013 05:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It shows how far our society has sunk Bill, when I worked for the
local Council,on Housing Maintenance, I, along with the rest of
the crew, worked in peoples homes, on trust. I'm talking total
trust, when the tenant was leaving for work, telling us that the
payments for various insurance men or the rent was on the side table if they called. It would never have crossed our minds to sift through folks private stuff, we were workmen, but honest, and
trusted workmen. How times have changed, when peoples private affairs are there for all to see at the touch of a button.
Something that would have mean't instant dismissal for us, all
those years ago, is a money maker for Bankers etc. Times do change, but not I feel, for the better.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 10:40 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get too freaked out, you actually have to have physical access to their phone, you have to be able to install the software and have them not notice somehow, and it doesn't work on a non-jail-broken iphone.

So in short, you can't just track people without them knowing it by just visiting a website or without physical access to their gear, their installation passwords etc etc.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 02:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one way I like the idea of the "police" tracking someone through the cellphone, if there is concern for there safety or have gone missing.

Without doubt anything put out on the internet... even on this forum is available for anyone to view world wide.

I think you just have to be careful...myself the internet..Facebook has been great. I can totally "bore" folk with all kinds of stuff [Big Grin] ....although thanks to Facebook I got back my old copy of "Flight of the Phoenix"...so it does have some uses

In my new job a cellphone is a must, and am even texting [Eek!] ...the very thing I would rubbish the idea, only a few years ago.

Graham.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 03:24 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The police are welcome to track me any way they want... cellphone, CCTV or whatever.... and they are welcome to monitor me anytime with CCTV. They can even monitor me in my very private moments if that's what turns them on (though I think they'll be doing a lot o monitoring for no pleasurable result!).
When you have nothing to hide or be ashamed of... what harm can it do? I still sleep soundly every night.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 04:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel secure in my car with my mobile phone in my top pocket. Secure, because I can call out the Roadside Rescue at a moment's notice.

I suppose my phone could also help me being located if I was in a somewhat remote place.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 06:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The old argument of "I've nothing to hide", should make you think
what gives them the right Martin.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 08:05 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Maurice so rightly points out, Hugh, monitoring me,and Maurice, and you, can only ADD to our security. There's nothing wrong with "old " arguments; they've stood the test of time. It's the "new", untested, ones that we should be suspicious of !

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 08:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Martin, just because they can, doesn't mean that they should.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but just wait ... give it a month or two and you'll be able to install that software, unaware, through they're cell phone actually being wither in use or turned on period or even worse, through whatever cell phone plan (parent company) that the person who is to be "spied upon" is using.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, that function will no doubt be implemented in the manufacture of said 'phone. It conjures up visions of an employee
enjoying a game of golf, while telling his employer he's ill in bed.
There is something more sinister at work here and for whatever
reason, it isn't good.A lot of this techno is put out there with no
thought as to the repercussions, Orwell was quite right in his book,
I for one now take the stance, I give no info to any bodies, Government or otherwise.On my last Census form, I told them to refer to previous info on previous form. To hell with 'em.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 02:12 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, I remember in the 60s my mother left the rent money on the sideboard and the house unlocked in case the rent man called when we were out. He was a real gentleman and we had no problems.
During the war my father while stationed on the South Coast stayed at his future in laws when on leave, they never locked the house at night.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 02:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all true Robert, I worked for the local Council, on various sites
all over my home town of Whitehaven, (we kicked John Paul Jones
arse when he came to burn our ships a couple of centuries back)
The people get to know you, we've laid & lit old folks fires for them, made them cups of tea, apart from doing our job, even
watched kids while the tenant nipped out. Society has gone
rotten, no doubt through the PC laws etc, and pussy footing
Government. Sadly, those days are ended, people are viewed with suspicion, but this is helped by governments, who need an
enemy, but bring that "enemy" to live amongst us. In years gone by , it was the Russians, now it is anyone with an Eastern
accent, they were wrong then, as they are now. The people
that use mobile 'phones ought to be asking serious questions on this though, it is a serious infringement on decency, if a payiing
user is monitored in this underhand way, and thanks Osi for
making us all aware.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 10:44 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Osi, there is no way for the phone company or anyone else to install that software without you knowing it. I develop for the iphone in particular, and it just is not possible.
Also, with any devices these days it is easy enough to hack them and see what the OS etc. is up to. There are plenty of us 'grey hat' guys out there that spend our free time checking up on what the software on computers and other devices are up to, and letting the world know when anything devious is attempted.
Don't buy into the scare mongering from television journalists.

Now there are real concerns with the NSA monitoring internet activity etc. and plenty of genuine privacy concerns, but the 'phone software' isn't one of them. The NSA monitoring is in full swing and I don't like the privacy implications. I recently had to change my secure mail account, check into what lavabit has been through recently.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I know about at present in the UK is Mobile Phone Tracking, which enables police to track where a particular call was made at a particular time.

Hugh, further to what you were saying; a resident in my village was photographing motorists who were parking on grass verges and damaging them, someone thought he was photographing schoolchildren on their way to school and reported him.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 11:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, don't kid yourself, the speed that technology now moves, they can tell when you take a leak. Robert, society has gone to
hell, the people on the housing estates where I worked, looked
on us as a back up to social service, we kept an eye on folk, sadly
that is in the past, and I myself nearing the criteria of an "old guy"
but thankfully fitter than most. I worry for the next generation,
because a lot have neither the insight or care, that was instilled
in us, coupled to the majority not being able to understand English.

Michel Boulet
Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 10:54 AM      Profile for Michel Boulet   Email Michel Boulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate everything up to 1975...technology is our most dreadful cancer in our community known as human beings.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lack of technology is filthy human beings huddled in a cave trying to stay warm without even the benefit of an animal skin because they haven't invented a spear, club or knife to get one with.

A lack of technology is a breeding ground for ignorance because there is no light to read by, no printing press to make the books, no paper to print on and no alphabet to write in.

Technology is like fire (actually making a fire is technology too, maybe the most important of all.).We can cook our neighbor a nice meal or we can use it to burn down his house. The choice is ours.

Technology is morally neutral. It's up to the basic decency of people to decide how to use it. If anything, this is the problem.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 02:32 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was never a time when man knew nothing. Paleothic man knew how to fashion weapons from flint, Neolithic man raised the great stone circles in Britain and made looms to weave cloth.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC