8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I hate winter...then again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hate winter...then again!
Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 02:21 PM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all forum members....I just wanted to put up a post this afternoon to help kill off the remains of the day (at the office lol)....

I have not been on here much over the course of summer; (I hope everyone has been having a great summer btw!). I am much of an outdoor person so during the snow-free seasons I am outside spending my time and money on things other than film.....but as the days are starting to get a little cooler I am acutally looking forward to winter because I will be back to being stuck inside for 4 months which means having the time to get "back-on-track" with one of my favorite hobbys!

The fast approaching fall season signals hunting season for me which will take me through to mid-November when it gets to cold for my liking (yes I'm a whimp when it come to the cold);

however I am getting the "itch" to order parts and accessories that I'm going to need for the winter so when the snow flys at home I won't have to wait to get working on my new projects and projectors.

At the end of last winter I snapped the belt on my only sound projector so I defiantely need to get a replacement. As well I have aquired an additional 3 projectors over the course of summer (including just today; a DeJur 750 for only $10); and all need some troublshooting to get then into peak running condition....

Cheers everyone!

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Winter and dark nights, and dread the return of Spring and everything growing in the garden.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cut my grass today, before I can turn my back it'll need cutting again. Roll on Winter!

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2013 03:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having lunch with a friend down in South Texas once. I said "It must be nice to live where it's Summer year round" and he replied "It must be nice not to have to mow your lawn 52 weeks a year!"

-all perspective...

Shoot films in the summer, watch films in the winter. That's how I deal with it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 05:59 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing about Winters, end of stupid daylight savings time. Darker faster projectors running earlier.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 10:23 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer winter living in New England. I enjoy the atmosphere. I love it when it gets dark at 4pm. I work overnight and its an advantage and with dark shades It works great projecting films in the day.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 04:43 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Steve, Guy, Brian and Maurice.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 05:52 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, winter here is a drag here, I mean it only got up to 24C today with a cloudless blue sky. I nearly had to wear long sleeves!

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 07:32 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to winter too. In 5 weeks or so I start My fall and winter film series, which will now be in its 9th season. This has been one of the hottest and most humid summers I can remember. I'm looking forward to it cooling down, and bringing on earlier evenings. If you missed the interview of my series, you can check it out at
http://capecodwave.com/look-for-nanook-lon-chaney-other-film-icons-in-provincetown/

So bring on those crisp cold nights and bags of popcorn.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate summer- that is here in Florida. The humidity is 95%, the daytime temp is 93F, and it only cools to 75F at night. I have to mow my grass twice a week, and weeds take over the flower beds almost overnight.
But the winter months are great, with clear sunny skies every day, and a nice cool breeze. So no place has it all.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have done extremely well here in sunny Lancashire this year and enjoyed some nice weather and near 30 degrees over the classic Home Cinema open weekend which made ideal weather for watching super 8 films…I think? Fingers crossed we can get the tent up for a couple of days before the winter looms and have another outdoor super 8 film screening.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 12:54 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I couldn't stand those temperatures, I don't like the thermometer going above 20c (68f).

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so looking forward to Winter! Fall is my favorite time of year. This summer has been the most miserable I can remember since having moved down South. I had to buy a dehumidifier due to the extreme humidity. Goodbye Summer & Good Riddance!

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2013 01:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-not as much fun once you don't have the whole season off from school, is it?

Summer and Winter to me have become kind of equals. There are things I love and hate about both seasons and prefer Spring and Fall to either of them!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 06:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heading into summer here [Big Grin] ....nice clear blue skies today and the distant mountains with snow on the peaks...looks great.

I hated the winters in Scotland...going to work in the dark, coming home in the dark...yuk..."you can have it"....that's why I immigrated [Wink]

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 08:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what Graham is talking about. I spent 10 years working in a small town up in the mountains of Central Pa.(a beautiful state by the way). January was the worst month of winter, get up early to turn on the car to get it warmed up and the ice scraped off the windows. Installing chains and snow tires. Shovelling 4 feet of snow out of the driveway. Driving to work in the dark on icy roads, and driving home in the dark along the same slippery roads.
But when the snow is coming down in a small Pennsylvania town, and the windows of all the houses and little white churches are lit by candlelight, and the red barns and wooden bridges and white birch trees are all framed in snow, it is truly a magical world. And at Christmas time, the envy of all of us living in the south.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snow -- 68 degs. I hope I NEVER see another snow flake.
After spending 3 winters in North Dakota (UASF) I moved to
south Louisisna. It's almost warm enough here. Maybe just a few more miles south.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 10:13 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
living in New England its always a challenge driving in the snow. other then that I enjoy snow and the season. I also love movies with snow in it.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 01:48 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like spring here in England. The snow we had this time was a pain, where we are I would think it was about 2ft deep. The local council are totally useless all they want is local council tax to make Barnsley nice.

You must also remember that in England 3 flakes of snow and everyone panics!

I have just spent 8 weeks in Thailand where it was the rainy season just a few hours a couple of times a week. It was about 100' most of the time. I have trouble sleeping in hot places the house does have A/C which helps. I have missed the UK's good summer though.

We WILL be starting some film show on he darker nights round at my mums, they have a longer living room which is better for film shows.

Remember its only about 116 days to Christmas. Send your letter to Santa for your films.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 05:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
We always complain about the weather in Britain, but on the whole, we have seasons, and I LOVE THEM ALL, The spring, and all
the litttle birds that flock to our house, the summer, even the hard work involving the garden, and the autumn, with the colours of all the leaves, without the wind, then winter, what more can I say,
pensioners dying in cold appartments, The homeless on the streets frozen, but lets worry about other bloody countries, other
than our own.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 06:10 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Hugh, we are very fortunate in this country in that we get variety; it would be boring if it was the same 52 weeks of the year.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 30, 2013 10:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eye, absolutely reet. The first super 8 filming I did when moving oop north was in a near blizzard onth top of Pendle hill in a force 9. The film is still good as new but sadly my hair which at the time was bowing horizontal has now left the scene. Good memories of holding the tripod on the deck and braving the super 8 elements!

Sorry about the Lancashire phrases..

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC