8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » PayPal - A Surprise Phone Call

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PayPal - A Surprise Phone Call
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently changed my credit card and needed to inform PayPal. As users of Paypal know a "Back-Up" payment method is required in case the main payment source, i.e., your Bank Account, has nil funds.

I tried to change the credit card number but was unable to do so. I then entered my new card data which was accepted, but when I tried to delete the original card I was unable to do so.

I eventually sent an email to PayPal to explain the position and asked if they (at their end) could delete the old card. I fully expected to eventually receive an answer by email.

But I was totally surprised a couple of hours later when I received a telephone call from them to say that they had deleted the old card at my request.

I thanked them profusely for their help which I think they appreciated.

Nice to know the good old telephone still has some use!

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 05:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how it is in UK, Maurice, but calling any company in Belgium became a nightmare. You always reach a recorded voice who names you options and asks you to press a number. Then you got other options. Not only it can take more than two minutes to talk to someone real but it happens often that what the reason why you are calling them is not in their list or is in a second list that you didn't select the first time and you cannot go back. Also they ask you sometimes to enter you telephone number and when they talk to you they ask it again (!) or they ask a client number that you may not have near to you. I hate the one who invented this thing !

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, in the UK, you get the same options, then you listen to recorded music for 20 minutes because all the operators are busy, finally you get through to a call centre in India, speaking to someone you can't understand. Some call centres are in Scotland and Northern Ireland, their accents are just as hard to understand.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 09:07 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've only had to call PayPal twice on the phone over the years. Both times I didn't have to wait long, and the representatives were very courteous and helpful. Even acting like it was their own personal problem. I was impressed....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I further stress the point that I did not phone PayPal. My approach was by email.

It was PayPal who phoned me.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they don't trust e-mails [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be AWFULLY ... VERY careful with these phone calls that say they are from your credit card company or even paypal. many of them are scams and before you give any information over the phone or internet, contact them yourself and ask if they have in fact asked for information from you, because odds are, they haven't, and someone is trying to scam you out of cold hard cash!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very good point, Osi, but in this case the caller was answering a question that I had earlier put via an email. I knew the call was genuine.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC