8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Another lens for my S940

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another lens for my S940
Garry Robert Duffield
Junior

- posted August 29, 2013 05:04 AM      Profile for Garry Robert Duffield   Email Garry Robert Duffield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found another lens called Bausch & Lomb 2.5" Super CinemaScope Lens - 16mm E.F. 3.50m - In Box (2 1/2").
It says it has a 2x horizontal magnification. Does this mean
I can project 2.35 or 2.40 cinemascope films and will it fit well with the S940 lens. Thanks guys for all your advice.
Garry.

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 05:26 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on its real element diameter and the front element of the Eumig Suprogon fitted on your 940, it shold work OK, especially because the Suprogon 1.2 (Series 900) has a rather small front lens. But the actual aspect ratio on screen will be determined not only by the desqueezing factor of the 'scope attachment but by the flat farme aspect ratio on film. This means if you have a full S/8 flat frame, you won't get 1:2.35/2.40, but 1:2.66 because the standard S/8 frame aspect ratio is 1:1.33. Yet if you 'scope frame on S/8 features side black bars on right and left, with the unsqueezed frame having a 1:1.2 aspect ratio, then you will get what you said. But scope films printed like this are - to the best of my knowledge - rather hard to come by, as it involves a more elaborated printing technique. I own several scope prints and the only one featuring side bars is a Roger Rabbit short "Trail Mix-Up". And that's perfect on screen (1:2.66 tends to be way too 'slim', just like observing the world from below a bed.

--------------------
Maurizio

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 06:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bausch-Lomb-2-5-Super-CinemaScope-Lens-16mm-E-F-3-50m-In-Box-2-1-2-/151109894896?pt=AU_Lenses&hash=item232eda02f0
If so, I would not recommend it.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC