8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: films
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 05:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, but I always feel a divide, in the Gung ho Capt' America stuff, that I bid farewell to it at an early age, and the
European films , that took superheroes to a different level. After
watching, "Diabolik",there's no going back.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2013 06:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this one of those deals where somebody that likes these films enough to buy the Captain America digest disagrees with you so you get to strafe them with your scary shift lock key and make some off the wall political pronouncement which will wind up getting deleted anyway?

I didn't buy the digest, so I can't really contribute. (Saw it: looked nice...)

(I was just curious, really.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 06:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No Steve, just a more adult view,

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2013 06:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Understood...

WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

There, are you happy now?

Tastes are what we call "subjective" (Google it), and most folks don't appreciate being told somebody else's are somehow superior.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 06:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No Steve, just different.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2013 07:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very lively discussion in the review section regarding the Captain America digest, I'm sure they would welcome your adult input.

I saw the digest at CineSea. It is a beautiful print. It's nice to know such things can still come about this many years into the video age.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 08:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, don't get wound up, films like "Diabolik", take the comic book hero ,or anti hero, to a different level. Regarding new prints
on super 8, its welcome of course.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2013 08:43 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Danger:Diabolik even though I'm a Mario Bava fan. I'll have to remedy that.

American film had its big anti-hero period in the 50's and 60's, however I don't recall any in the comic book vein.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 08:50 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As was the "man with no name" character in the "Dollar" westerns
sometimes called Joe, anti heroes are generally more interesting in character, than the clean cut all avenging hero in many comics.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2013 08:57 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why as a comic buying kid in the late 60's & 70's I found the Marvel Comics flawed heroes more interesting than the DC straightforward types.

Doug

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 09:17 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself did Doug, they had family issues, debt etc, and were
"believable" in that sense, but to my taste, the "hero"with a bit
of naughty, was more so, I can identify with him, the "what's in it for me" attitude, being more believable than doing it for "my country", although it did give youngsters a sense of right & wrong.
I always likened myself to the Brad Dexter character in "Magnificent Seven", he was believable.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2013 09:20 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I originally liked about the Hans Solo character....before he became a good guy.

Doug

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 10:16 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You've put it in a nutshell Doug, grab a copy of "Diabolik", which
by the way has a great Morricone score, and you'll see what I mean. Marissa Mell is to die for, sadly she did. Bava knew his trade
as all his sets were cardboard cut outs.That's the mark of a truly great Director, one who works with ..... all, as did John Ford, making use of deserts etc.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 05:34 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not my type of viewing . Older UK members will remember an actor named John Slater (1916-1975), never a leading man, but the following from his obituary shows he was a real hero.

-

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 31, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think a great digest of the second "Batman" movie (with the Joker) would have made an AWESOME digest. fantastic movie (even with it's long running time).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember John Slater well Robert, he even did childrens TV,
remember the dreaded Pinky & Perky from the late 50's early
60's.
As regards new releases, I feel the "Godzilla" remake, or "Cowboys
& Aliens" for the action afficionados, maybe "The Others" or a2x600 from "Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skull." Maybe even my
favourite "Diabolik" or the more risque "Gwendoline" which was
a great little film, on the style of "Barbarella"meets "Indiana Jones", lots of nudity but done in style, and not offensive, but
a brilliant music score, catch it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC