8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Beauty of Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Beauty of Film
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 06:57 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After spending more than 10 years watching clinically clean films on VHS and DVD, and returning to real film, I find a beauty in even the most worn print, the scratches, splices, and cue marks all add something that the others don't have; and that's not to mention the setting up and sound of a projector. We are all most fortunate to own THE REAL THING.

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 02:03 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on there. DVD's are clinically clean. I remember when I used to go to the cinema more, I could always tell when a change was due looking at the cue marks on the film. I always looked to see the change over, it was a kind of magic to me.

We watch a couple of 16mm films last weekend, even the smell of the projector added to the atmosphere for me.

I must mention though my viewing of two films on film when in America. First "Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom" somewhere in the Scottsdale area of Arizona. This would be 1984 the cinema or theater in America was almost empty, but the image was great.

And then in 1986 for "Aliens" at Costa Mesa to a packed cinema. The picture was fantastic on both. I do wonder if "Aliens" was in 70mm? I think the first time I had really heard in full surround sound, I'll swear they were running behind you.

Sure everyone's popcorn jumped in the air when the creature in the lab jumped in the jar.

Film is still really special though.

I hope to visit my local Videma on Monday they are showing two Hammer's "Dracula" & "Curse Of Frankenstein". Tomorrow they have "The Railway Children" and later "Far From The Madding Crowd"

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 03:19 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The popcorn smell, the sound of projectors, the flickering lights, and the lines on the film make it real.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like DVDs, and when purchasing a premium priced DVD I like the film to be in pristine condition, but not long ago I was watching one of those budget DVDs that have films in the public domain; they are usually worn prints and sometimes the colour is less than perfect, but I did enjoy it, made me feel I was watching real film.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 02:06 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've summed it all up, Robert. The imperfections are what make it perfect. I ran 16mm at an old folks home, and one of the helpers said "wouldn't it be easier to put on a DVD?" I replied "where's the fun in that? They can do that the rest of the week". Don't think it registered, though.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 25, 2013 02:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny Robert but looking back just a few years we were all panicking how we were going to manage for projectors in the years to come but thanks to the initiative of those like Bill Parsons and many others we have repairs available, spare parts and a growing interest in this pastime. I’m betting we will see quite an influx of home showmen and showgirls in the future now that the cinema has abandoned film in favour of dig. We have not visited main stream cinema now for some time as the videos they are showing just do not look the same and the whole experience just is not there. Thankfully there is a large movement of enthusiasts in the UK who have been working very hard to preserve and keep going 35mm projectors in classic cinema buildings as well as the home projectionist. For us here there is nothing like projecting real organic looking film and we also continue to make our own films on super 8 and 9.5mm with no shortage of camera film. Never ceases to amaze me also when out with a cine camera just how many people stop you asking about the camera as well.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 04:44 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dead right Allan and Lee. I think I have only been to the cinema twice in the last 7 years, and did not really enjoy the experience. A very small room and most of the seats were empty.
Hopefully Lee, you are old enough to remember the cinema before they made them 3 in 1. One massive screen, being shown to your seat by the usherette, looking at the copy of ABC Film Review; then the lights go down and the curtain rises as the BBFC certificate appears. The interval with ice cream, peanuts, or Butterkist popcorn. After the main feature we got a B movie, followed by Pathe News (in my area), and the trailers for next week, not forgetting Pearl and Dean adverts. After the show was over we would come outside and look at the front of house stills, before returning home.

Here is a photo of one of the cinemas in Oxford before it became a multi; showing someone looking at the stills.
 -

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 05:45 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're bringing back memories, Robert, I was a projectionist in several places like that in the fifties an sixties, and I married one of those usherettes. On the subject of projector repairs, Lee, I would also recommend Kevin Brown in nottingham. He has a site on the net. He sorted out my TQ111 rewind fault and gave the m/c a good check up too.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 05:54 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very useful to know that Allan. I found the website, and have added the link. Thanks again.
http://www.cine-repairs.co.uk/index.html

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC