8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Last Projectionist DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Last Projectionist DVD
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 09:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the impression I got from reading some of the stuff on the internet, made me a bit iffy about getting this DVD release.

However I thought I would give this movie a chance, and see if I can buy a copy through the internet...so I did.

The result, to my surprise "The Last Projectionist" was very good indeed, much better than I thought it would be. Although its mainly about "The Electric in Birmingham" it does however cover a lot of ground about cinema itself and in particular the independent.

There is also a marvellous model a chap had made over a 20 years period of a Odeon cinema....that's really something.

Well I can certainly recommend the DVD, the quality of both picture and sound is excellent....its all very interesting.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 01:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else here buy a copy?... [Smile]

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 01:21 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I would love to get a copy but it looks like they are only available as Region 2 for PAL countries.
I think NZ is same as OZ in that DVD's for us are all Region 4 so what did you get hold of (Region wise) and from where please??

--------------------
Lindsay

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 01:49 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsay

I ordered my copy in the end through a record/dvd shop in town. I have just had a look at the back cover, it does not mention Region 2. I think for what it is, its multi-zoned. I cant be certain though, as all my DVD players themselves are Region 0 ...ie plays everything.

Although Australia and NZ are Region4 most players you buy these days are multi-zoned, and if not can be put that way at no charge to you when you are buying one.

I am pretty sure you wont have any problems with this disc.

Check out "www.electricflix.co.uk"

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 03:39 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, Thanks for that will do some further digging.

--------------------
Lindsay

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 06:27 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got one on its way from a UK source (not Amazon) but is of course is Region 2.
Will see just how our NEC DVD unit handles it if at all...if no joy I guess my only other option is to rip it to .mov file on the Mac & burn a suitable DVD from that .mov file.

From the trailers & reviews it looks an interesting doco..pity nothing like that was done here on some of the cinemas that died as digital took over.

--------------------
Lindsay

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Graham is right about NZ dvdplayers, 99% of our dvdplayers are multizone and will play DVDs from anywhere. I remember working in a shop that sold them at the beginning and most manufacturers that imported into NZ made their players multi zoned or had the means to do it......probably because we are a smallish country......lucky us :-)

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2016 03:27 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a copy a year or so back, great DVD.

John Richard Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2016 06:41 PM      Profile for John Richard Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STzFEvhauRM

Gives you an idea of the dvd.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 25, 2016 03:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Graham a good movie. Was in the Electric only a few months ago, interesting.
 -

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2016 07:21 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a boy in Birmingham there was the Electric (then known as The Tatler, later to become the Jacey) in Station Street, and The News Theatre in the High Street. Both ran hour long shows consisting of cartoons, interest, travelogues and, usually, two newsreels. They ran continuously all day. They were quite small places but very popular for people wanting to get out of the rain or needing to kill an hour.

--------------------
Dave

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2016 07:35 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great DVD well worth a watch [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
kinema king

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC