8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Closure Of Severn Tunnel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Closure Of Severn Tunnel
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2013 04:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those members in South Wales proposing to use the train on Saturday 26 October for the Ealing Convention, please note that the River Severn railway tunnel will be closed on that day. Trains will travel via Gloucester.

Those travelling from Bristol Parkway (as I am) should note that the normal half-hourly service to Reading & Paddington will be extended to a two hour interval with trains starting at Bristol Temple Meads.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
Fortunately I will be traveling on Friday 25th but thanks for the info anyway.
Have you been following the C5 TV programme 'The Great Western'?
After what one of the staff said about flooding in the tunnel should all pumps fail I think I'll invest in some scuba gear. [Smile]

I have a very interesting S8mm BTF 2-reeler about the tunnel's construction, some amazing engineering carried out on that job.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,
I knew you were travelling earlier but I thought others might be interested. When I booked on-line weeks ago the web-sites seemed crazy, from Bristol Parkway there are normally half-hour services which come from either Swansea or Cardiff. Eventually I found a train and booked but although I was asked if I wanted a seat reservation the site refused to comply.

It was only yesterday that I visited Parkway Station when all was revealed, the closure of the tunnel was upsetting the normal schedules. Only after the third attempt could the assistant actually book on my Reading trains (each way.) As you know I am changing at Reading for local service to Ealing Broadway.

As Sid Field used to say, "What a performance!"

The Severn Tunnel film I have on one of my BTF DVDs from the BFI, indeed, fancy, the pumps going night and day.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 28, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw Maurice's thread title I thought the Severn Tunnel was closing for good! [Eek!] I have been through that tunnel many times and I guess it must leak like a sieve as they have to continuously pump it. Nevertheless it remains a major Victorian engineering acheivement and it was always a thrill for me going thru it on the way to Cardiff from Paddington.
I am old enough to remember when there were no Severn road crossings and you had to take a ferry boat from Beachley on the Welsh side to Aust on the English side.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what a work of art it was to get a car on to the ferry boat, the access was wet and slippery, the boat was small and didn't hold many cars. Most car drivers went the longer way north (and then south) where they could cross the river in a much easier toll-free way.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2013 08:50 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, as a West Countryman you might remember the old GWR brakevans that only had an entrance at one end, as compared to the SR, LMS, and BR, which had entance/exit at both ends. I was told by an old railwayman that the GWR brakevans were removed from service after a guard died in a fire in the Severn Tunnel. There was only one exit and he was trapped.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never much interested in railways although as a child I spotted numbers of the steam locos, when in the Severn Tunnel I was only happy when we emerged unscathed at the other end.

We rarely used the tunnel though because at one time there was a railway bridge at Berkeley, this we used when going on holiday to the Forest of Dean.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 02:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much time (if any) was actually saved by using this ferry. It must have taken at least 20 minutes to load all the cars on, and another 20 minutes or more to unload. I seem to remember there was a turntable on the vessel to turn the cars around, so it must have been quite a palava. All that to save a 60 mile loop through Gloucester.
Maybe the real benefit was saving petrol.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You turned ninety degrees to get on to the ferry, then drove onto the turntable, there staff turned it and the car to point to the car's parking position. On busy times the boat was not large enough to accommodate all who were waiting, thus adding to the delay.

Even more delay if the tide was out. Don't forget that the Bristol Channel and the River Severn have one of the largest rise and falls of the tide in the whole world.

Petrol was cheap in those days so there was not a lot cost saving using the ferry because there was the cost of the ferry itself.

Here's an interesting link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aust_Ferry

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 03:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link Maurice. The whole operation looks and sounds very unsafe! [Eek!] I'm suprised there were no serious accidents over the many years it operated.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC