8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Stormy Weather on VHS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stormy Weather on VHS
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 04:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought Fox's 1943 musical "Stormy Weather" from a charity shop on VHS for only £1 (approx $1.60).

It stars Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Lena Horne, Cab Calloway, Dooley Wilson, The Nicholas Brothers, and a fantastic number by Fats Waller and his Rhythm playing "Ain't Misbehavin'", the latter having a marvellous interchange between Zutty Singleton on drums and Fats.

It would be interesting to know what sort of release it had in the US.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 04:06 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope you have a CRT TV or projector and not digital ... Old Laserdiscs and VHS looks awful on those new TV's

Last I tried, I almost threw up, the picture was soooo awful. I thought it was because I had gotten used to the new and "better" media, but watching my Laserdiscs on my old 576i projector, it was actually looking quite fine

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 04:25 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got a bargain there; Fats Waller died on the way home from making that film. Only seen the Nicholas Brothers in the Glen Miller films, but they were amazing.

Can't say that I noticed any difference watching VHS on a digital TV.

Just watched this clip on Youtube and it's the same version I have on vinyl; wonder how many times he recorded it, as I also have an instrumental version.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 09:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fats died of pneumonia at the early age of 39, most of his recordings were for RCAVICTOR, there are a lot of inferior CDs available, but I have "The Very Best Of Fats Waller" issued in 2000 on RCAVICTOR 09026-63731-2.

Fats' recordings were usually made in New York but the CD includes "Ain't Misbehavin'" which was recorded in Hollywood on (possibly) 23 January 1943 when he was making "Stormy Weather". The title is an exact copy of that heard on the soundtrack, it's much better than some of Fats' other recordings of this tune.

The CD has twenty of Fats' most loved recordings. I wholly recommend it.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 10:00 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the old recordings of various stars are issued on poor quality CDs rather than by the company that recorded them, HMV, Columbia, RCA, etc. I just have 2 vinyl albums of Fats Waller which I bought when I was 15/16 years old. Plus 2 immaculate 78s. I also have the Collectors Club Super 8 film which features 3 or 4 songs; and the Soundie I mentioned in another post on 16mm was Fats Waller.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC