8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Telephone Scam Windows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telephone Scam Windows
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 07:18 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a call from someone about my windows operating system, no number just international. I let her talk for a few minutes, I would say the call was from India. I told her that I don't use window I use Apple for some reason she cut me off.

I would think the reason for the call is to get access to your PC and PUT a virus on.

Please be aware of this scam and DO NOT give them any information.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 07, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I receive always calls from companies and when they understand you don't want to buy anything they just hang up without saying goodbye. I am on holiday today and it happend twice this morning. Someone supposed to be a wine seller from South France but with an Arabic accent and then someone speaking in English (without even start asking me if I understand English) from I don't remember wich company. They both rudely hang up.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 07, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll watch out for a call. It seems a scam a day is an almost a norm. However, I fail to see how a telephone caller could access your computer. Mind you, I am a dead loss with computers, but there must be many high tech people out there.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 09:57 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has accessed my wife's email account more than once, even took one of her archived messages and sent it to her. Seems that some people have nothing better to do than spend all day trying to scam people or infect their computer.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 10:24 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What they do is try to convince you, you have a problem on PC. You can grant access to PC and they will put something nasty there.

When I worked for BT we used Panasonic Toughbook if we had had problem you made a call to the IT dept and they could take control of laptop.

The scary bit they called me Mr David.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 01:25 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's Neice's husband in Spain is a wizard with computers, and when we had a problem he got us to download a programme, which I think is used for conferencing. He was able from Spain to look at everything on the computer and remove the problem, just as if he had been sitting in the room with us.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they have even gone as far as to use my own phone number to call me it showed up on caller id, when i answered it they asked me about my computer i said this is a scam and hung up.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 07, 2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep ive had this one so i just gave the asian guy a piece of my mind, after i finished he knew what i thought of him, his family his country and everything else i could hurl at him, never heard back, shame [Big Grin]
I knew this was a scam, as you said they asked me to log onto my PC, what a dick, he thought i would [Big Grin] , right or wrong if anyone invades my time on my phone and i know its a scam i'll give them as much verbal abuse as i can, it give me a bit of satisfaction, and i dont give a toss who they are or where there from, if they dont like it dont ring me and dont try and scam me or my family, If only could grab hold of them [Mad]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC