8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Possible New Film Show In Philadelphia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible New Film Show In Philadelphia
Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about throwing a film show in the Philadelphia area for several months now. This is only in discussions but I've found what seems to be a very suitable Holiday Inn located on 10th & Packer. I think this would be a nice place to hold the show. It is also very convient because it is located in the heart of South Philadelphia. It is literally a block away from all of the stadiums, it is a few blocks away from Broad street, and anybody traveling can't miss it since its right off the I-95 and the expressway. Also I want this show to be a strictly film related show. By that I mean 16mm, 8mm, 35mm, dvds, posters. I don't want any comic books or toys! Another idea I also had floating in my head was having a drive in Saturday night in Stella Maris parking lot. The school is shut down and they rent out their parking lot now. It is literally only a few blocks away from the Holiday Inn. That is just one of the many ideas I thought of. I was thinking of having the show either in February or October. I also help run the Cinesea show in Wildwood twice a year, so this would be a seperate show. I would like to hear everybody's thoughts about this idea? Also if you have any suggestions, they are also welcome. Anybody who would be interested in attending or setting up if I did this show let me know. This show can't happen unless we have enough support from you guys. I haven't called the hotel yet for any rates, but if their is enough interest I will. Thanks alot and hope to hear your feedback.

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

|  IP: Logged

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2013 10:42 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lou,

Sounds like an ideal spot and mentioning an area to show movies after dinner as we usually do is important. The distance for everyone to get to Phildelphia is about the same as Wildwood anyway; so that won't be a longer stretch for everyone.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 12, 2013 11:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea, but the only thing that concerns me about it is since it shares the same small group of people with CineSea I think people would have to make choices between them and both would get fewer people as a result.

Maybe the best thing to avoid this is to keep CineSea Fall/Spring and make the Philadelphia event Summer and/or Winter: 3 months between each.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2013 03:12 PM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I feel the same way about Cinesea. I don't want to in anyway to break up the Cinesea show, I like to have it twice a year like we do now. I just want try to have a new show that maybe can attract more dealers and people. Maybe having it in February to avoid conflict with Cinesea.

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 12, 2013 04:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lou,

If you think being in the Philly area would open it up to a new group of dealers and collectors then it's worth a try. The Drive-In idea sounds great. I'd be happy to help out.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 12, 2013 05:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"CinePhil"?!!!
PhilCine"?!!!

.....CineDelphia!!!!!

Winters are awfully long. Something midwinter could be a plus.

The catch there is always the possibility of being clobbered by a blizzard. It's not a deal breaker, but it's something not to be taken for granted.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 12, 2013 10:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Filmadelphia?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 13, 2013 06:33 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dougadelphia

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2013 07:36 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Dougadelphia"
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 13, 2013 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

In this case I'm thinking more like "FrancheDelphia"!

I guess "Philmadelphia" just comes across as a typo!

But seriously folks: Hotels in resort towns like Wildwood have off-seasons and therefore off-season rates. Our $65 rooms in April and October would run us $199 to $240 if we had CineSea in the middle of July, for example. (I doubt the rec room would be available in July, but that's another story. Probably full of teenagers in bathing suites playing air hockey and video games.)

A problem we could run into here is a hotel in a major city is always on-season.

--------------------

Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This show I'm thinking of having isn't apart of Cinesea. It would be a separate show altogether. I don't want to change having Cinesea twice a year, just I was thinking of holding another show that could attract more dealers. I contacted Omer to see if he would be interested in getting tables, but no reply yet. I know if he would set up, alot more people would try to attend

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 13, 2013 10:32 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get a bargain rate, projection room, maybe a ticket would get us a buffet, something connected to the drive-in and all/any other perks, then everyone would come...even me, Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 13, 2013 12:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying anybody is thinking of moving Cinesea (-especially to July: I've seen Wildwood mid-summer and it's wall to wall people!)

I'm just using it as an example of how the availablity of off-season rates makes events a lot more affordable, maybe frees up some mad money to spend at the vendors' tables.

Of course, you should get some prices and see how it looks.

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 06:34 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice location Lou, my better half (ex) is from Philly and I lived there for 22 years (I still kept my rent-controlled apartment in NYC), can't beat that deal.

I used to go to that Holiday Inn on Bob Pantano's night. If you can work this out without conflicting with CineSea, it'll be great.

I am undergoing physical therapy but if there is anything I can do to help do not hesitate to contact me.

Good luck

Jon

Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 08:34 PM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an update on the show. I finally heard back from the events manager at the Holiday Inn and she gave me a rate on a dealer room, I also asked her about room rates in which she will get back to me on. If we can get atleast 30 dealer tables booked, it would only be $50.00 a table for Saturday and Sunday. Now if we can get even more tables booked, the tables would be even cheaper.

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be up for attending such a show. I already committed to CineSea (and very much looking forward to it!), but since Philadelphia is in my back yard (10-15 mins away) it's a no brainer! [Smile]

Plus if I could put my .02 in -- for all of those out of towners traveling....the city offers a cornucopia of activity for the wives/significant others who may not want to otherwise go. Museums, shopping malls, historical landmarks, etc. Not to mention the "must have" Philly Cheesesteak. Coincidentally, one of the best (in my opinion) is Tony Luke's....approx. 1 mile from this hotel. For what it's worth [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC