8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Redcliffe Picture Palace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Redcliffe Picture Palace
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 04:20 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would share my latest experience.
On Saturday I discovered there was a museum to the North East of Brisbane called "The Redcliffe Picture Palace". The sad news was just as I had discovered it, the place was closing down. The good news that the owner was selling everything off, including projectors of all formats and 1000s of cans of mostly 16mm film. I had about 2 hours there sifting through the contents (The pictures show just a fraction of what they had). Many prints were either pink,vinegary or just out of my price range (African Queen with good Fuji colour was selling for $400. Sadly, I visited the wrong side of pay day)!
I settled for some nice Laurel and Hardy Blackhawks I didn't have. Here are a few pictures from my day out.

-
 -
 -

Incidentally, for fans of The Bee Gees, they grew up in the area and an entire pedestrian street is dedicated to them.

-

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 04:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, indeed, to hear they are closing. Looks like an Ali Baba's cave.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 04:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumig heaven Jonathan by the looks of it and what a shame when these places close.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 04:25 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and I was the only one there! If only I had won the lotto. He even had 35mm film and projectors and a little movie theatre on the side. Lee, he did have a lot of Eumigs as you can see. I was hoping to get a GS1200 which he said he had in immaculate condition and wanted about $700. Unfortunately, he was unable to locate it! It is a shame it was closing but he was 70 and keen to retire. We talked about its history and he used to put on film shows for groups using shorts and features from the collection. He has a website if you google it.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 05:35 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG I wish I lived in Australia. What a haul I could make. It must have been fun chatting with him. I wonder how many more of these places are tucked away in lord knows where?

Here's a link to the website:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/picturepalace/

PatD

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 05:36 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, I don't know how far away you live from Brisbane but I would sure keep in touch with this gentleman. It will take a while to sell off a collection that size unless he finds a dealer willing to buy the items in a lot purchase. The GS-1200 will turn up eventually.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 05:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat
It's in Australia. If it was in the UK I would be hot-foot to it.

--------------------
Maurice

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 05:47 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guy,
I believe a trader from Sydney (sells alot on EBay) is visiting this week. He is likely to make an offer for the lot.
I don't have those funds....or the storage space. Also, alot of the best stuff such as "The Birds" was rather faded.It was great fun exploring the cans Pat. Now and then, however, the vinegar almost knocked me out!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 05:56 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the smell of vinegar in the morning. It smells of cinema!

I am thinking of re-mortgaging my house and visiting him. Wait a minute, I don't own a house!

Oh well. [Frown]

PatD

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 06:01 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few more pics to show.

-

-

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....Peter Goed, a member over on the 16mm forum was involved in that place. Think I'll drop him a line.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 12:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's the chap I met. We had a pleasant chat.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 01:58 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter is a good guy. Longtime 16mm collector. I have a bottle of his now defunct LFP - did wonders for warped prints.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 03:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael, yes I read about that on his website. It's such a shame I didn't discover his museum when it was still operating.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 05:18 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Liquid Film Plasticizer is no more? Very sad indeed. It actually WORKS!

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 05:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,I was just reading about that on the 16mm site. I had never heard of it before.I read it works for about 2 years.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 15, 2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

Yes, it does work. I'm glad I still have some. Peter stopped making it some time ago as one of the ingredients became too costly to procure. As you say, it's a pity.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC