8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Talkies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talkies
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 06:53 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this date today in 1927 The Jazz Singer made its premiere, marking the beginning of the talkies.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 07:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me the Edison Lab sound test film from 1894 will always be the dawn of sound and pretty amazing using a 35mm Kinetograph camera and wax cylinder (off screen). The director also walks into shot also a first.

Up on YouTube Dickson Experimental Sound Film

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 07:50 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On 11th Nov I'll be at the 100th birthday celebration of an old chap, George Barrow, in Marble Arch where he has a flat. He worked all his life in and around London as a projectionist and can recall quite clearly as a lad, the installation of sound equipment. What's most interesting is the little details such as the reactions of the staff (the chief projectionist was apparently an early 'technophobe', and couldn't cope with this new fangled gismo) and recollections of disc v optical sound, the disc being superior in quality at first.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Warner Bros. 3-disc deluxe DVD edition of The Jazz Singer includes many hours of extras and special features about the invention of both optical sound and sound-on-disc movies. It is an absolute must have package for anyone even remotely interested in the science and historical development of talking pictures. Also included are hours of restored Vitaphone shorts, most of which have never been seen since the 1920's.
A nice touch is the DVD discs themselves, which look just like the original Vitaphone discs, complete with numbered blocks to tick off the number of times played ( the Vitaphone discs could only be played 20 times before they had to be replaced!)
This is an awesome DVD package, and an essential addition to any movie collectors library.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 07:07 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased that dvd set Paul; a wealth of early sound short subjects. Only recently did I notice those Vitaphone illustrations on the discs.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 15, 2013 05:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Region 2 set only contains two discs, both having the looks of the Vitaphone disks, i.e. cross off up to 20 and then discard.

Perhaps the best extra is the ten minute tinted Vitaphone short "A Plantation Act" where Al sings in blackface. Remarkable sound and picture clarity.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC