8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Happy 125th!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy 125th!
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 11:47 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this day, 125 years ago, the first film was made! "Roundhay Garden Scene" was filmed by Louis le Prince on his "LPCCP Type-1 MkII" cine-camera, using home-made 60mm film.

The film was 20 frames and lasted almost two seconds!

Happy birthday!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was shooted (in 1888) but not projected (because the paper used was too thin). The images he shooted were "transfered" on 35 mm in 1930 and it is a real document. In the last days of October 1888, he shooted also tramways, his son, horsecars and there is a controversy wether yes or not this footage was projected (if it was, but we will never know for sure, it would indeed have been the first film). You had a great idea to give a tribute to this pioneer who mysteriousely disappeared.

--------------------
Dominique

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dom. I think it's marvelous to think that the groundwork for our beloved hobby was laid 125 years ago, and is still going strong [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 16, 2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always fascinated when I see these early images! It's one thing to see tintypes and such from over a hundred years ago, but to see people, actually living and breathing on film from way back then, is wonderful. It takes them out of the static photo and brings them to life.

I think that my favorite early film is the one that was taken the very day before San Francisco earthquake, and it was literally just luck and timing that it exists today, as the studio that shot it was burned down I believe the very next day in the earthquake.

It's haunting ... seeing a great number of people, looking into camera, that would be dead just one day later. catching them alive on film.

Long live the celluloid image!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC