8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » eBay prices (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: eBay prices
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 17, 2013 02:37 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is decent digest, but that price is not in the range I would pay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390680857977&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 17, 2013 02:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about the comment "Red Monochrome", but even if the colour is OK the price is way out, not even a chance to make an offer.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A euphemism for "Very badly faded to Red"?????

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 11:48 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find Ebay pricing for films and projectors are often completely unrealistic recently and are getting worse. Many film prices are way above those of our regulat dealers. Ken Finch.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 02:22 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the outrageously high prices for untested and junk projectors.Not to mention shipping prices

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There never sees to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I saw a feature length "Block-Heads" on E-bay about a month ago, unbid for 30 bucks.

I put a bid down fully expecting to be sniped, but it never happened.

I've seen 200 foot cartoons go for more than that!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 03:50 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the outrageously high prices for untested and junk projectors.Not to mention shipping prices

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 17, 2013 04:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, we do realise that it's the seller and not ebay that sets the price.

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 07:53 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Car is a common digest. And it most definitely has lost at least 60% of it's color. The digest, IMO, is much better than the lousy feature; but at $124.00, he is out of his skull. It should be listed $100.00 less than that. Many sellers use "rare" when that alone can turn a bidder off. If I told him what's actually rare in super 8 digests, he wouldn't even know it was produced. He sells mainly Castle/U8, Columbia and Ken and he thinks they're rare.>>>shakes head

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2013 10:13 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the idiot that bought the print when he had it up for $99.99 Buy It Now. I just returned it to him because the color was beyond red... almost like the picture was fading along with the color. I had bought it mostly because it was Scope - something that isn't mentioned in the auction but you can see the "Widescreen" sticker on the box. The seller doesn't know much about film. I explained to him that the picture quality was bad with a horrible red tone and the film was worth much less than I paid. He apologized and gave me a refund.

Now he has relisted it...but... at a much higher price ($125.) He did refund my money so I don't want to trash him... but "Monochrome Red"... really? Well, I wish him luck but just wanted to inform everyone what the print is like.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 01:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how new young collectors do with prices going higher and higher. Most of us (I think) could buy films at reasonnable prices. We probably couldn't afford anymore some of our films at some presents prices.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2015 05:27 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Tarka the Otter' 400ft,from UK P&P £20!!!! what a mark up...
Tarka

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 03, 2015 06:40 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in danger of repeating myself here but this is what I think, There are too many idiots listing totally unrealistic start prices, (& then they put 30-40£ on for postage), These people more than often are clueless and probably think they have something worth antique prices for. If you buy you buy at high risk.
I myself, (not the biggest ebay fan), use it to sell films and use my monies to buy more films, I have made my hobby self funding, if I didn't I probably would not be able to afford to buy new films. However, I do my utmost to list them with as much info as I can and at a minimum price that I want. Or if I think its a good title I'll start it reasonable and if it fly's then good luck that means I can buy more films but hopefully someone will be happy with what they were prepared to pay.
I see the seller of this item on this thread has removed it but by the sound of it the guy is a total tosser and clearly has no clue about what he is selling to ask that money for it and then find out that its useless, these people should be kicked off ebay. This is the down side of it.
I see there are quite a few 400 footer on there with stupid start prices that just get re listed time and time again, its simple to deal with this, do as I did with the two recent Rocky horror 400 footers that were listed for way over a 100 pounds each, I asked him if this price was correct or was it meant to be £10 as I stated to him this title was available from dealers for between 20-40, suffice to say I asked twice and he didn't reply. Nor have I seen them listed again. Just ask time and time again why the start price is high, eventually they may give up.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I`ve bought projectors off of ebay only once did a dud arrive I notified the seller and they returned the money, and let me keep the projector.
I`ve never bought any films, but lamps, drive belts, and various other cine stuff, all in all a good experience, but buyer beware!!!

Also if it was`nt for ebay there not many other places you can go, cine related shops are disappearing fast and they were not cheap either.
Good Hunting,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2015 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to laugh, £20 economy delivery, for one 400ft reel, I'd want it delivered on a silver plater for that...
Mysterious Island

[ July 03, 2015, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Steve Carter ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 03, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that eBay has changed the rules once again.

I seem to recall that a few years ago sellers of movie films were being restricted by putting on the correct postage price as eBay thought they were DVDs and restricted the postage accordingly.

Has this odd rule now been rescinded? Can sellers put on any price they like?

--------------------
Maurice

Dan A. Caprio
Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2015 09:16 PM      Profile for Dan A. Caprio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that is the postage to the U.S. [Razz]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 03, 2015 11:39 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Postage to Belgium is 28,86 £ !

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone is of the same mind regarding postage cost, but that apart we shouldn't knock the prices that some of the items fetch on eBay. Who are we to judge what people should pay. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We might not be willing to pay these prices but obviously there are some that are happy to - and hopefully the trickle down effect might benefit us collectors in the long run?
Look at what the mortal remains of a Pathe Kok sold for:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATHESCOPE-KOK-28mm-HAND-CRANKED-PROJECTOR-/311373162496?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Bi1NbJdGa8DULLjTdYA2gWvzJJ0%253D &orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 03:37 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry you are right on that, its exactly what I'm saying, if people start sensible or low that's fine, what they actually go up to i guess is down to what people are prepared to pay, i guess at the end of the day if a film comes up and your bank account is loaded & money doesn't matter then you'll be prepared to pay Scilly money, but this thread points out idiots and brain-deads listing utter crap like a 400 footer, (and he doesn't state that it is faded) with a start price of over a hundred pounds, and just to make it even more of a comedy listing, they add £20 sometimes 30 or 40 to post it. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 03:38 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan A Caprio; said;I believe that is the postage to the U.S. No it's postage to UK from a seller based in the UK;cut and pasted from E-Bay;
Item location:United Kingdom £20.00 United Kingdom Economy Delivery (Royal Mail 2nd Class) for one 400ft reel...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 03:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think nearly everything on the planet, collectable or otherwise, has an approximate known "market value".

With this in mind, is it ethical or fair to anyone, naive or otherwise, to ask for example, 10 times what that known approximate "market value" is?

I think not... and this is quite rightly what Tom is getting at when he speaks of e bays often dubious reputation, as it clearly allows for the exploitation of certain goods to be sold for basically "whatever some mug is prepared to pay for it".

This is especially a concern for what may well be rarities but are in far from perfect condition.

400ft digests of rare titles are a prime example of such antics.

It differs slightly I would say when the goods are near mint and also rare, for example a mint print of the complete feature of "Independance Day , then it's very much a case of the goods having no real upper limit to its market value not just because of its scarcity..but also because there may well be little or no chance of obtaining another copy quite like it due to its condition.

So in those instances, Terry's philosophy works and is seen on many occasions, for example mint prints of the Derann full feature of Star Wars.

In almost all other cases when the print is far less than perfect and is tantamount to nothing more than exploitation, then Tom has it bang on. Hence the bad reputation often given to e bay by collectors of film the world over.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 03:43 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To show further how much of a donkey this guy is he refunded one of our members here,(one sensible thing he did), and dispute being told its almost unwatchable and had gone beyond faded he's re listed even higher, i think the guy needs to be put in the loony bin! Unfortunately the only words i want to use to describe these sort of sellers cannot be used on here. But i guess you know where i'm coming from.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 03:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
See above Tom to see that I couldn't agree with you more on many many examples of what things are being offered for on e bay!

Ultimately, you have to blame the company who allows anything to be sold for any amount without having an interest in understanding approximately what amount it SHOULD be offered for sale for.

E Bay couldn't care less about this aspect to protect the vulnerable, Why?

Because there is a much bigger profit margin in not giving a damn!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 03:54 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cost of posting a 400ft reel in the UK is £2.80.!!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC