8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is there life after BFCC? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Is there life after BFCC?
Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 06:21 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....with the opening of the (last?) BFCC imminent,can't help thinking of the next day in conventions. SO I decided to ask for info about it-let those who know a bit more than me help with the following questions:
--is it REALLY the last BFCC as we know it? Or does it depend on other factors (eg. attendance, fees etc) that are difficult to say how they'll decide its future-so we play by ear?
--IF it's the last, are there any thoughts about having another event in London for the south,as there's always Blackpool for the North?
--if yes, is it going to be a 'smaller' thing (eg.without film shows-just dealers & bring & buy) to make running it affordable? And perhaps make it more spring-time so as not to almost coincide with Blackpool (two fairs within 3 weeks)?
...quite a few questions there I know, but it'd be good to have an idea about the future;does anyone have some info to share?...

--------------------
Yannis

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 08:33 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to John Clancy, IF there enough collectors on the day, then MAYBE the event could survive for another year.So I suppose it's up to us to make the effort to attend if possible and show how much the BFCC means to us.
I imagine feedback from the dealers would play a major part in deciding what happens in the future.
Whatever the outcome we should just enjoy the day to the fullest.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 08:53 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news. It would be sad that the first time I will go to the BFCC would be the last one !

--------------------
Dominique

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 11:18 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the attendance is also linked to the material (both quality and quantity) that the dealers have for sale.
As a lot of films are going on ebay (even some dealers started to sell there), there's the risk that the attendance will go down due to the lack of availability of "good" films.
Unfortunately I noticed this both in 2011 and in 2012, at least for super8.
I hope that the dealers will consider this when they participate to the conventions.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 12:17 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amount of material is not the only thing to consider as you can anyway buy only a small fraction of what will see. These meetings also allow you to meet people sharing the same interests and you get often unexpected informations or advices.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure as hell hope so!

I'm hoping that I will be able to make one of these, especially if the organizers of this magnificent gathering can actually make it a go for at least one more time!!!!

(Fingers crossed on that!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, it's true what you say, but I've met collectors that go to convention mainly for buying (I'm speaking in general not specific for BFCC. Being one of the organizer of the previous editions of the Super8 Film Festival here in Milan made me aware of different aspects that, as a simple collector, I would not have seen).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to Conventions mainly to buy. It's a chance to see what is available and to actually handle what is on sale, in the case of films we can see just what the colour is like, and if it is necessary we can also sniff to check for V.S.
None of this can be offered on an eBay sale.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 03:31 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there life after BFCC?. I have never been to a convention and this year will be no different. I buy my films through the post. I can understand that some people will go for the atmosphere. For me its a hobby, not an obsession. I'm spending less time on here to do other things, widening my horizon.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I would hardly call going to the BFCC as an obsession. Most film collectors go for the chance to meet other film collectors and exchange their views, ideas, and experiences of the hobby. If you happen to find a film to buy while you are there, well for most people that is icing on the cake.
Having been to the BFCC several times, I can tell you for sure that you are really missing out by not going, and the fact that you live so close makes your decision not to go all the more incredible to people like myself who have made the effort from overseas, and have been happy for it.
Doug Meltzer is coming all the way from New York this time, and I can assure you that Doug is not obsessed.
You still have plenty of time to re-consider, and show your support.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I think that you're missing something. Why not considering to go once to see for yourself if it worths for you to go again or not ? Fabrizio, it could be interesting to have more informations about this Italian festival.

--------------------
Dominique

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 05:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it's important to support the dealers, another great attribute of the BFCC is the spectacular shows on all guages and the chance to see recently-released material on Super 8. This is something you can't manage at home unless you live in a mansion with a massive screen and own the sort of projectors used at the BFCC. Sociable chat with fellow enthusiasts is part of it, although I find it's important to not get caught in conversations for too long, or you don't get round all the stalls. Conventions are also great for finding obscure bits and pieces (often equipment/accessories) that never otherwise seem to turn up.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 23, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Conventions are also great for finding obscure bits and pieces (often equipment/accessories) that never otherwise seem to turn up.
I totally agree. There have always been items - both film and equipment - that never show up on dealers lists or on ebay.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 23, 2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, perhaps a little obsessed. This is a wonderful hobby and to get a chance to check out films for sale from a room full of dealers, learn about Warner Brothers and CinemaScope (this show's twin themes), see Super 8 projected on a 24 foot screen and meet many of the people who post on this Forum....what could be better?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...if there's an obsession,it's with film,not with the Convention as such. BFCC's provided a great chance to get together,know how many we are, who we are,what we like,exchange opinions, experiences, knowledge and share all good things that make our hobby that great. OK it's also about buying,welling & viewing, but that's in the margin of BFCC...it's all that makes BFCC what it is-& sad losing it,if it happens...only thing, set in October it's just so close to Blackpool....

--------------------
Yannis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 23, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The social dimension is definitely a plus. A guy I work with flies model helicopters. At least once a month he and a bunch of pals from his model aircraft club spend a Saturday morning flying together. They don't do much differently than they would alone, they just enjoy it more.

-as nice as it would be to have a bunch of film collectors in every town get together every month, we are just fewer and further between than all that. So conventions it must be.

Something that kind of sneaks up on you without you realizing it is that when you do this in solitude, every film you watch is one of your own, and unless you just got a package every film you watch is one you've seen several to perhaps many times. (Sometimes too many.)

When you get together with other collectors, you will see something on screen you've never seen before, and (unless you buy it) you may never see it again.

This is kind of refreshing!

[ October 23, 2013, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 24, 2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s always good to share things with others including our hobby me thinks. [Smile]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love going to the BFCC convention when it was held at the Town Hall, Ealing, but the St Benedicts venue just doesn't hold the same appeal for me. The Town Hall had such atmosphere, with people rushing from room to room, up and down stairs, desperate to get a bargain. Great fun and almost a party atmosphere, a bit like hunt the thimble at Christmas used to be. I realise that the greedy council made it financially unviable - but such a shame to lose that venue. Just not the same now (for me anyway).

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I'll give all the information directly on Saturday [Smile]

In any case, here is the link to the Italian super8 forum, the first three topics deal about the past S8FF (sorry, they're in Italian):

http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/a/55211/FORUM/cartella.aspx

At the moment there is no plan for the next one, I hope in 2014

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 24, 2013 03:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, Fabrizio. [Smile] I will read the forum you mentionned later as I am going to sleep in a few minutes to take the train to London tomorrow morning. See you at BFCC, I hope. You will probably recongnize me from my picture [Wink]

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 24, 2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would really like to go to...but I need a "generous financial benefactor"...is their anyone out there? [Wink]

Remember its not all about dealers and finding the latest bargain etc...its more about having fun and the chance to meet up with other like minded, obsessed film nuts. [Big Grin]

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not going to make it...... [Mad] [Mad]

Sorry, Gentlemen (and Ladies)

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 25, 2013 09:26 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I agree with Terry that Ealing Town Hall had a certain charm, I also recall the cinema used on one or two occasions that seemed to involve finding a way down to the basement and then heading down long corridors before - with luck - you eventually found the room in question. It wouldn't surprise me if one or two collectors are still wandering around down there!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAH! Funny! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2013 12:30 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a little perspective should reign here, Keith has found a fine venue, it's in his Ealing area, and more importantly It's in his price range, remember he has to pay money up front before anyone walks through the door, I think he's bloody amazing to carry on with it. He didn't want to leave Ealing Town Hall, but when they virtually doubled the price in one go, what could he do.

I would rather have one BFCC in a school than no more BFCC's at all, after all it's the people and films you go and see, not what the venue (unless it's a poor one, which this isn't) is like.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC