8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is there life after BFCC? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Is there life after BFCC?
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2013 01:30 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Barry!! Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2013 04:44 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Barry/Mark!. - I was not decrying Keith in any way. Great guy and does a terrific job and I have nothing but praise for him. As I previously mentioned, it was the not the fault of Keith, but the greedy council, that he lost the venue. All I was saying is that the Ealing town Hall was a great and deserving venue with wonderful atmosphere and that I preferred it to St. Benedicts. That's all! Wow

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 06:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabrizio, I've just watched the video from your link. Interesting to see Ugo Tognazzi's children invited to talk about their father using super 8 !

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2013 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well said Barry [Smile] this new venue is excellent and far superior in many ways to Ealing so I'm afraid anyone who thinks otherwise is missing out BIG time.

The atmosphere is still there too and what other one day Convention has attendees from Italy,USA,Greece and Norway just for the day!!

Enough said 😄😄

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 07:29 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can add Portugal, France and Belgium ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 07:35 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice for a film convention to be in a venue with arts connections and that has applied to various previous London venues. E.g. the Watermans Centre could list the event in the midst of their programme of films and theatre. At Conway Hall in Holborn it was nice at the end of day to head straight to a West End pub for a drink with fellow collectors. When I attended my first BFCC at Holborn Library, it seemed very fitting to walk past the premises of Mountain Films on my way there.

But having said that, the current venue offers practically everything that could reasonably be hoped for: a very good 'cinema' and a spacious dealers room, bring and buy and cafe facilities all close together on the ground floor, and free parking adjacent. So as long as it remains affordable, lets hope can enjoy more BFCCs there in future.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 08:58 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted some pictures on facebook, if anyone should want to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.238652662958479&type=1

Will post some here later, need to find some good pictures and resize them

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 09:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ! Your pictures are better that the ones I took with a mobile phone.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for Leaving the other countries out Dom 😄😄

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Mark. Britain's contribution to the hobby (and the British wonderful breakfast) forgives everything.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Dom [Smile] [Smile]

The best breakfast in the world lol!! [Smile] [Smile]

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2013 04:46 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dominique, it was an interesting talk the one with Maria Sole Tognazzi (unfortunately Gianmarco Tognazzi had to leave early to go to a set in Sicily).
BTW, Maurizio Di Cintio, member of this forum, was the "man chair" (as was appointed umorously by some during the day) of all the conventions we had.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2013 01:10 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Vidar

Photos look good...spotted a Bolex SM8, plus plenty of Super8 film [Smile]

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Clancy has updated www.bfcc.biz with two pages devoted to the 62nd event last Saturday. Click on past events to see them and a ten minute video.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 01:24 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is still hopr for next year ! Here is their message : "63rd BFCC
WE HAVENT DECIDED ON A 2014 EVENT YET SO PLEASE KEEP WATCHING THIS SPACE " I will keep my fingers crossed and my remaining pounds in an enveloppe.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous pics and superb video by John and Suzie. That 24 ft screen is HUGE! Hard to believe that John's HTI GS1200 can do such a great job showing 8mm that large. The displays of film posters and lobby cards look great, and the whole place looks like it was a hive of film collecting activity.
Great to see that photo of the always congenial John Bird. I hope I look as good as him at 90!
Here's hoping the fabulous BFCC will roll on for many more years.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,It's a shame you couldn't come to the BFCC this time.
Talking to Doug Meltzer, he said although you and he live in the USA the only time you met each other was at a BFCC.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 06:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful photos and it's great to have access to that piece of video.
Once again, I really enjoyed the day. Thanks to Keith and John.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 06:46 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life after BFCC? Answer YES!
As some will know I stage the East Lancashire FF and can say for what is a fairly small yet enthusitaic event it’s very hard work. We are not 20 years old but in the 50+ bracket which makes it that much harder. Keith and his amazing team stage an extravagant multi media event where you can view many film formats, walk the walk with some interesting dealers many of whom will have interesting stories to tell and this particular event will encompass some extraordinary cinematic events. Even yet I can remember Keith’s gala premier super 8 screening of Star Wars with no Less than Dave Prowse present, top that anyone! The BFCC has become synonymous with top end film presentation and the best of 8mm. So many of you in the UK will remember Derek and Keith standing side by side bantering but at the end of it all 8mm film was at the heart and what a great love they have for it. Derek may be gone but we have a great enthusiast for 8 in Keith who has taken many hours putting together some amazing DVD material for us all to enjoy about our hobby. The BFCC will never die, it may change but the enthusiasm Keith and his team of enthusiasts follow
is legendary. Enthusiasts like myself and others who put on film events pale into significance under the screens bright light led by keith and speaking for myself he has absolute respect. The BFCC will continue as I know he and others love this medium so much you will not hold back its momentum whatever age you are. The BFCC is beyond film it is ultimate film and if I may say bloody well done one and all.......

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 08:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,
I would have loved to have been at the BFCC, but unfortunately circumstances made it impossible this year. Judging by John's photos and video it must have been excellent.
Yes, Doug and I met for the first, and so far only, time at the 2003 BFCC. I am hoping to make it to his next CineSea convention in April if all goes well.
Incidentally Mal, we were watching the new Upstairs Downstairs TV series the other night when all of a sudden it showed an extended scene filmed at Penarth beach and the pier and promenade, where I grew up. I almost fell out of my chair! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 07:18 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....so to conclude,my understanding is,it may or may not be ''the last BFCC as we know it''but even if it is,there might be something else organised to replace it,which is obviously good news...the only thing I can add is my hope that that something new will take place in the spring-not good having BFCC & Blackpool within 20 days from each other & then no major event for 11 months...

--------------------
Yannis

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 02, 2013 01:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent photos on the "BFCC" web-site plus a 10 minute you-tube video....really good [Cool]

With the video in particular, its great to see the projectors running and what's involved and "all the hard work" in putting up the 24ft screen.

It a pity I will never make it to any of those conventions but a huge thanks for recording it, in both photo and video.

Graham. [Smile]

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that BFCC and Blackpull should have a space of 6 months in between. That would be better for dealers and admirers – customers, especially for the foreign ones like us from Greece.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....have been saying this since last year Antonh; let's hope we'll be heard....

--------------------
Yannis

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 05:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is tricky coming up with dates and we will never please everyone although we do try. My own next film fair will be in April but it has been tricky to fix the date as so many film related events are already going on then I have to agree it with the venue as well. Some of the dealers asked me to put on another event a little later in the year WHAT! To which I replied support Blackpool and I think this may have helped with bookings. I tend to look at the positive side of things re cine events as we are extremely lucky to have so much going on in our vibrant hobby of film collecting, a number of magazines and not to forget film making either. Blackpool dealer wise is pretty much sold out which demonstrates great interest in the event and its excellent rather lavish new venue so expect a good day if you come to buy.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC