8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is there life after BFCC? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Is there life after BFCC?
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 06:42 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re bfcc and blackpool re 6 months apart blackpool has always been in novemeber and will continue in November for many many many years to come

|  IP: Logged

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 06:55 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....it was not only November though-there was a time when DERANN had two events in Blackpool,wasn't it-one March, one November? Plus, in more recent years, when they dropped the March one, there was another initiative that month-just for a couple of times if memory helps? So it wasn't always an exclusively November event...

--------------------
Yannis

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2013 03:50 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Yanis!

How are you? Regarding single day March events over the years. Derann organised a few at Blackpool, these being replaced by a couple in Birmingham at the Strathallan Hotel

There is a chance that my wife and I will see you at Blackpool, although we can not commit 100% at present

Kindest Regards Always

Gary

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 05, 2013 04:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Derann at Birmingham, much smaller and much more friendly, and also much closer to me in Bristol.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 05:31 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what all the fuss is about, apart from the dedicated few who go to both Ealing and Blackpool, many who attend both will never likely go to the other event. It doesn't really matter that there is only 3 weeks or so in between, the fact that 2 events are scheduled and held should be the most important thing. I attended both for well over 20 years, and I could count easily how many ventured to both (not many at all). It may be more of a problem for the overseas visitors than those who live here, but I'm afraid that will never change, as these 2 dates seem to be the only viable proposition for both organisers, and we should applaud both for still giving this hobby the time and commitment they do.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 05:53 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a list of dealers booked in at my northwest film I cannot be held resposable if they don't turn up
DEALERS HERE TODAY
Classic Home Cinema. Super 8 / 16mm Film +Accessories.
Dave Guest. 16mm Film & Projectors + Accessories.
Paul Wooding. 9.5mm / 16mm Film.
Tony Hutchinson. 16mm Film.
Laurie Ringrow. 16mm Film.
Keith Cockayne. 9.5mm / 16mm.
Brian Lancaster. Used Equipment
Tony’s Classic D V D’s.
David Eaves. Memorabilia.
Peter Churchill 16mm Film.
Ashley Swaine 16mm Film.
D Mcloughin 16mm Film + Projectors.
Paul Mellor. 16mm/35mm Film & Projectors.
Kevin Ashton. 16mm Films.
Glynn Jones. S8 Projectors/Films +16mm Films.
J & A McGovern 16mm Films.
Lee Mannering. Super 8, Standard 8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm
Jennifer Cadger. Projectors & Cine Cameras.
C Douglas S8 & 16mm Film.
Dennis Parkinson. E F S.
A Alexander. S8/16mm Reconditioned Projectors.

SUBJECT TO ALTERATION

[ November 11, 2013, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: David Guest ]

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 05:54 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...4 reasons I can fond for the remaining conventions to be held in some time distance from each other:
--BFCC's on a Saturday in London, where all roads lead to; Blackpool's on a Sunday in a less convenient space/time occasion,
so hard to travel on the day as in BFCC-accommodation needed...
--in conjunction to the above-finances: having spent what they have spent in BFCC, how many will travel to Blackpool & spend again in 3 weeks?
--foreign visitors: London being more convenient to fly to than Blackpool, how many will travel to the UK again in 3 weeks?
--finally, it's good, methinks, to have a comfort of 'time management' re; conventions. Once upon a time, when there were 4-5 such majors events, it was different as there was choice;now it's 'either-or', so I personally find it a bit strange not to have anything for 11 long months & then everything in 20 days...

...this is just an idea for the conventions' organizers to perhaps discuss? NOT an imperative on what SHOULD happen; after all, at the end of the day it's collectors that will decide on attendance. But wouldn't it be better if that attendance was made easier?

--------------------
Yannis

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 04:08 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can fly to blackpool you can fly to Liverpool then 40 mins on the train to blackpool you can fly to Manchester the less than an hour on the train .make a weekend in blackpool theres plenty to see including the worlds famous blackpool tower and forgetting the winter gardens

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 04:47 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis makes a good point, the conventions are too close together. UK, residents might have spent up, and holding another convention a few weeks later means that some who might want to attend can not. For overseas visitors it's an impossibility. I haven't attended any convention so I am not affected. I gather that you hold the Northern Convention traditionally in November, so maybe the BFCC could choose another date rather than October. Spring would probably be a good time as most people wouldn't be going away on their holidays then. Just a suggestion.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 06:37 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could never change the month at blackpool as this business I am in keeps me busy every weekend from easter to 2nd week on November that is why it has to be in November ,bfcc changing to the spring would be a good move then it would make both conventions as good as each other

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 06:43 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...an airport near to Blackpool isn't just as simple as that-how often there are flights to & from, how expensive they are, plus the short time from BFCC... it'd be a weekend anyway as it's not a one day event really.

--------------------
Yannis

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 10:04 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....just thought I'd add that I kind of agree with Robert-BFCC had better be a spring event;but again,as he suggests,we can't but ask Keith & John to consider this-not to make a commitment....

--------------------
Yannis

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 03:48 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Clancy has already stated that he cant do a spring BFCC anymore due to work commitments. So the event will have to stay in the autumn. I think we should just be glad that the BFCC is still going regardless of when it is.

Graham S

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 03:52 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about august

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not many conventions happen in August mabye because more people are on holiday. It might be a risk to move it from October, but im sure many people would still turn out.

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we need to move the BFCC? We should consider ourselves lucky if it continues at all.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 03:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I don't post here any longer as a rule but I had been made aware that people were passing their opinions on this. The BFCC for years was in Spring and Winter but there are not enough of us collectors left for two per annum these days. For that Ruislip convention a few years ago we held it in Spring and it caused me significant losses so we could not do it again. Keith has agreed to hold it in October when I still lose out financially but a bit less than in Spring.

Please stop passing your opinions on when we hold the BFCC because you're just making me want to give up. I do this simply out of my own appreciation of the hobby and to try to help things tick along. If you can't make the BFCC in October then that's a shame. The new film fair in Blackpool David is running happens to be in November and that's fine but even David would not claim it is on the same scale as the BFCC, although I know from Robert Nichols there are improvements in the pipeline for this year. Please try to support it because if we give up on the BFCC (mainly because I can't afford to keep pumping time and money into it) that's all you'll have left.

I doubt I'll be checking in here again any time soon but a PM will still get me and I do still post on the new forum so you can communicate with me there.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if John is losing money on the BFCC then the admission price should be raised to help cover his, and Keith's, expenses.
I don't think anyone expects them to lose money hosting this convention. A 15 or 20 pound admission fee is not unreasonable for a day's fun. I spend more than that on a couple of hamburger's at Disney World!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 09:47 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re conventions. these 2 film conventions blackpool and ealing are over 200 mile apart ,and most people who attend blackpool don't go to ealinge and vice a versa ,I remember when deran run 2 film fairs in blackpool then stopped the march one and started one in Birmingham I had a stall several times there ,Derek Simmonds told me it would attract the london gang because it was nearer than them going to blackpool I don't recall seeing many ,I don't know many people from London but I have good ears and its not hard to know when a guy is at side of you talking with there cotney accent I wil make a note this year how many have travlled the 200 plus miles

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 10:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in complete agreement with Paul, nobody can expect the organisers of any event to lose money.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 11:46 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The entrance fee was 7 pounds. Perhaps with a 10 (or 12) pounds fee it could be viable ?

--------------------
Dominique

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 11:52 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the answer to the previous post use it or lose it ,its no use everybody having there opinions and the bunch of nit pickers who have plenty to say but never go .these films convenyions which are organised by ealing ,Accrington and blackpool are for your benefit so fill up the car with petrol or book a train or book a plane. if your funds are low you can always sell something on the bring and buy that could go towards getting there

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 12:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To which "previous post" is yours answering, David ?

--------------------
Dominique

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
organisers losing money

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think, as an organisator that the increase of the entrance fee could be a solution ?

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC