8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is there life after BFCC? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Is there life after BFCC?
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 12:11 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no if I could get enough dealers and enough customers to spend with the dealers as its a great expense for them. I would do free admission at my film fair ,but every year less people are attending inc dealers so you must support these film fair as in years to come there will be none

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, having to pay £150-200 in mere travel expenses to attend either convention, it's not going to bother me if it's 7, 12 or 20 pounds to come inside and enjoy it. Most people should be fully able to pay i.e. £15, which would more than double the income from fees if everyone still attended.

And to be honest, it's all in the hands of the collectors now.

I have many times thought of doing a convention in Norway/Scandinavia, but most times I end up with the same result: lack of enthusiam from collectors. Not pointing fingers here, but there was a lot of "good reasons" floating around for not doing it. I get John here, we should be glad that we have the BFCC and stop arguing about it's date, venue or whatever. If this goes on, we'll have no conventions left in a few years, and it'll be over.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 02:00 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looking forward to seeing you then at blackpool christian

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2013 02:09 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly hope so! Had to cancel BFCC at the last minute, so trying my best to make it a two-day trip for Blackpool.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 11, 2013 09:04 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure our friends who come from overseas and collectors in the USA who travel long distances to attend conventions must be surprised that some in the UK are put off by a journey within the UK that may (e.g) take 3 or 4 hours. Going to the capital city or a popular seaside resort (and many of the major attractions are still open in November) can add to the fun. But some of the people I spoke to at Ealing were from the north, and a good proportion of the Blackpoool dinner bookings I've received are from people from London, the south coast, Northern Ireland, Scotland, etc. For us it's a short holiday with a film convention being the major attraction, and no one thinks that travelling a few hours to go on holiday is a problem.

I appreciate that overseas visitors won't want to come twice in 3 weeks, so they have to make their choice and perhaps could alternate between the two. But I doubt if many UK collectors have spent so much at Ealing that they can't face another trip - it's not like the old days when it was easy to spend a fortune on new releases. If you're a Super 8 collector, unless you're buying new material from CHC, it must difficult to spend a great deal because a large majority of the films on sale nowadays seem to be from before the 1980s revival, so most of us have had plenty of time to find anything from earlier years that we want.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 12, 2013 03:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course one of the greatest attributes of any hobby and for some of us a part of every day life is the camaraderie to be found and these film events wherever they take place, either in a garage sale or a lavish hotel do give us a great opportunity to meet other enthusiasts and wax lyrical.Keep up the good work those who organise movie events..

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2013 04:12 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, there are still plenty of remote places in England, I have been to places where there were only 2 buses a day and no railway service, due to the Beeching axe in the 60s. If you lived in the wilds of Cumbria or Northumbria, a trip to Ealing would be out of the question.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2013 06:02 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Adrian, that was the deal when I tried aswell. Lots of overseas who wants to come, especially from the UK, but of the 30-odd collectors I know locally, everyone had excuses. And to be honest, you can't base such an arrangement on people attending from abroad, because you never know if they can make it, afford it etc. considering it's a 2-day trip at the least.

For me, I don't care where the collectors come from, as long as they come and have a good time, making the arrangement worthwhile. And not to make excuses, but for me the economic aspect has been an issue for previous conventions in the UK. As you may know, I am a student working part-time, and I have two mortgages, so spending 300+ pounds (about 1/3 my salary) on a single weekend to London is risky.

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...well, the organisers have spoken-there's no point going on with the argument. Either one can see the points I made or not,it's EITHER-OR, which is still better than NONE at all;from now on,it's up to the collectors to choose which to attend & which not. I'll try my best to attend both for as long as I can,though still think it's unfortunate....

--------------------
Yannis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 12, 2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, two major conventions close together is a much better 'problem' than no conventions at all. Perhaps we could consider something else in Europe in terms of boosting the opportunities earlier in the year. Does anyone know if that big fair that used to happen in France is still happening and if so where and when? With members that show an admirable willingness to travel, perhaps we should start a list here that has all the major events worldwide.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 12, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be refering to "Les Cinglés du Cinéma" ("cinglé" means crazy) in Argenteuil (about 15 minutes in train from the center of Paris). Although there are less sellers and visitors than it used to be, it is still there. At the moment, it is set in September but there are discussions to see if it will not be set back in January as it was before. There are three rooms but one is now dedicated to paper (magazines, posters...). There are some projections in a small room but what is nice to see is that several sellers projects also in the two "selling rooms" where films and material are sold. The convention is held during three days. The first (a Friday) is a "sellers day", so there is an 15 euros entrance fee for non sellers, but the two following days are free. There is new organisator, so things may change. You can see pictures of this convention in another thread. Another thing to add is that you can also find films and materials in Paris (for example at the shop "La bande des cinés", the name of the shop plays with the prononciation between des cinés and dessinée, la bande des cinés means the group of ciné(ma)s and la bande dessinée means the comic strip ; at the beginning the shop sold comic strips, then they opened a second shop with films and material). And of course, Paris worths (more than) a visit. I was told about another interesting convention in Roubaix, which is located in North France (interesting for our British members, maybe). I haven't been there but several French people told me it is growing.

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ November 13, 2013, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Robert Crewdson ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 13, 2013 07:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The openness is one of the things I have always liked about this particular forum and it is sad to hear of others where some do delight in grilling someone which does little to forward the ‘we love film’ movement or perpetuate it. I would love to see the day when those who take part in such grilling comments use time to more useful purpose such as helping others instead of bashing out internut text particularly behind closed doors. I don’t think members are argumentative and we need to remember this forum spans the world with different cultures and languages which sometimes get forgotten. To quote some Lancashire dialect ‘Yon mon con whisper o’er three fields’ [Smile]

On the positive side and a film event organiser myself I learn from the views of others as it is an important way for me anyway to improve my own annual movie event and we would be daft not to listen carefully to any input from visitors be it good or bad.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 13, 2013 07:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, is that you ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfyQJ_G_AE0

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 13, 2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Minus a Eumig [Cool]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 13, 2013 07:25 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2013 09:17 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As in any group discussion you will always get differences of opinion, it would be a boring world if we were all identical. Even if our views have been taken on board it doesn't mean that it's possible to change things; the matter might be out of our hands, but it's good to listen to the other persons view.

I haven't read all the comments from the beginning on either forum, so I don't know who these people are taking a delight in all this. The only thing I am aware of happening behind closed doors was John's posting. Not exactly closed as this Forum is open to anyone, and the messages can be read without being a member, though not as well attended as this forum. Many of the people on the other forum are also members here, and as far as I know they have shared their knowledge like the rest of us, putting their time to good use.

My previous post has been deleted. John kindly wrote an explanation, there was more going on than I was aware of.
Nothing further is to be gained by prolonging this thread.

[ November 13, 2013, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Robert Crewdson ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC