8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Merry Christmas !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Merry Christmas !
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2013 01:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, slightly early, but I just released my complete remake of my Christmas Album , "An Instrum-Mental Christmas!

While that's largely true, I have also included two version of my remake of my own Rock N Roll Christmas song, 'A Merry Christmas".

Here is the link ...

https://cxandtheretroexperience.bandcamp.com/album/an-instrum-mental-christmas

I'm on pins and needles. I start the actual marketing "blitz" for this in a few days. I found out how you tube gets these vidoes with millions of hits in mere days. You can pay them for them to place your video right up front on their website and you basically pay for as many days as you want it to be up there, so that is what I will do, but I'll wait until after Halloween at least ... it'd all about timing, and you don't want folks sick and tired of your stuff too early. That can happen.

At any rate, I'm quite happy with it. The Instrum-mentals are all classical Orchestra, but I went further with the compositions and make them much better than on the original album of 10 years, taking the classics and making chord changes you wouldn't expect, that kind of stuff. It was lots of work, but a major load of fun!!!

[ October 29, 2013, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Osi, what have you done to "3 Kings"?! 80% of the track is unrecognizable as "We Three Kings of Orient Are". The 1st 50-55 seconds is far too long & repetitious. Tinkering too much with classic carols that have been beloved for years is risky. I wish you the Best of Luck with the album but "Mannheim Steamroller" its not. I feel that you could have done better with simplicity because you certainly have the talent. Do keep us posted on how the album does. Today's Generation will probably enjoy it but being a old curmudgeon, I prefer Traditional Arrangements when comes to Christmas music.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good point Joe ...

It's not meant to be anything like "Mannheim". The taking of classical Christmas songs and doing them in a gran pop music style has been so overdone by Mannheim, Trans Siberian ect.

What I have done is taken the classical songs we have known for years and taken them in directions we remember as well as directions that I know that I have never heard before concerning these songs. However, there is one song that has an element I once heard from a 60's Christmas album, put out by Firestone tires I believe.

It is "Silent Night", where they did the classical chord arrangement for the first verse, and then did this absolutely smashing, soaring vocal rendition that has stayed with me all these 40 years! I really enjoyed that.

There are two completely new Christmas Instrumental Christmas songs on that album as well, (along with the vocalized Rock N Roll Christmas song, "A Merry Christmas"), and those two are ...

The Birth
REJOICE!

... which are completely original new Christmas compositions of my very own.

I know that my style of composition will not appeal to all, but I damn well don't hear anybody willing to do this kind of thing in this kind of way.

Usually all we hear when it comes to Christmas is some idiot pop, hip hop or rap star (rock as well), that will just take a already established Christmas song and do the 30th or 40th version of it. Where is the ingenuity in that?

In fact, next years Christmas,. I will have finished, a brand new collection, (except for my own "A Merry Christmas") of Christmas pop/rock songs, all on one Christmas album ...

Gee, you get the feeling that I like this holiday?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC