8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » never been known at any film convention (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: never been known at any film convention
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at the northwest film fair there will be hot freshly made toffee coated popcorn served all day .there will be a small charge for this what film convention has ever offered this where the public can eat popcorn in the cinema while watching the film shows hosted by don sykes and bob Nichols any one who knows that this has been done I would like to know

[ November 07, 2013, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: David Guest ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's ever been a problem at the film conventions,both me and my son ate popcorn at Ealing a couple of years ago whilst watching the shows,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 09:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once worked in a brand new Odeon Multiplex. The designers provided little storage space for the sales kiosk, and as our projection room was 100' long (five cinemas) management thought we were an ideal space to store the large bags of popcorn.

I can still smell that awful smell from twenty years ago.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 11:47 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eating popcorn during a film projection is a bad anglo-saxon habit that has saddly replaced the iced chocolates that were sold some years ago in Belgium and France (and maybe also in other non anglo-saxon countries that didn't had that "tadition").

--------------------
Dominique

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be an ol' spoilsport but I think that food and drink should be left outside the cinema/screening room. There's nothing more irritating than the sound of bag-rustling, drink slurping, crisp-crunching, etc.
I remember the NFT once having a "no food and drink" policy in their theatres. I wonder if it's still the case.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 01:55 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did it very quietly and rustle free!!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 02:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We did it very quietly and rustle free!!
I'm sure you did, Mark.
[Big Grin]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 02:05 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone hear that song 'Popcorn Sack', by Spike Jones and his City Slickers? I think it's from the 40s. The viewers can't hear the movie (Edward G. Robinson impersonation), because of someone eating popcorn.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, you are, Robert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqHJtzli-s

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique, did you recognise the other impersonations? Charles Boyer and Al Jolson.

I am afraid I annoyed someone in a theatre a few years ago by eating peanuts; surprised they could hear the rattle of the bag above the orchestra.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 05:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think at a convention level, surely people could avoid the need to stuffing there faces making munch munch noises, while the films are being shown....I would ban it.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 05:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the stench and sound of popcorn munching is very objectionable for me. I shudder when I am in a movie theater and a family of four walks in and sits right behind me, each with a gallon bucket of popcorn! That's one reason I always head to the back row on the, now rare, times that I go out to the movies. Even more disgusting than the smell of the stuff is the greasy mess that popcorn munchers leave on the floor when they leave the theater. Obviously they have the attitude that they paid to get in so the theater has the job of cleaning up their foul mess.
Needless to say, popcorn is totally banned from my home cinema, and I wish the multiplexes would do the same thing.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 10:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the school holidays "daytime" the cinema used to be packed out with kids and of course "popcorn and drinks" was the big seller, although that's where we made our money....it did stink even after extensive cleaning.

What I would often do, just before the 6 0'Clock evening sessions would start, had "about half an hour screening break" I would open all the cinema emergency exists to the street "all doors" and give the place a good airing...and plenty of it.

The art house cinemas here don't sell popcorn for them, that's a big no no....

We used to get complaints of folk eating potato crisps [Eek!] crunch crunch... boy they can be noisy. Imagine sitting next to someone, the scene is getting tense, the music builds then.....crunch crunch [Frown] ...lot to be said for home cinemas [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 12:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, I didn't recognize them (I know, shame on me...). Graham, the worse thing now in the videmas is the mobile phone that people use during the screening. Even if they don't always talk (but it happens !), they read their text messages or want to know the time. And of course, you have the benefit of that distracting light.

--------------------
Dominique

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 06:42 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....I second the previous opinions-given the small size of the screening room,I think munching would be annoying...

--------------------
Yannis

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....I second the previous opinions-given the small size of the screening room,I think munching would be annoying...

Which might explain why Pop Corn hasn't been on the menu at any previous conventions...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 09:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I am not the only person who hates the smell of popcorn.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 10:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago I gave a Christmas film show for kids at a local church hall. My daughter had a cool idea - "lets rent a real movie theater popcorn machine". Which we did, and it was a great hit. At the end of the show, when the kids walked out, the mess on the floor was unbelievable. We spent an hour vacuuming the floor. Never again!
My wife once set fire to a bag of popcorn in the microwave (keyed in 3 hours instead of 3 minutes!) and it stunk up the whole house for a couple of weeks. [Eek!]
I hate the stuff.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
next time take a dyson

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over-rated and over priced vacuum. There are better ones at less price- see Consumers Reports.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right there, Paul. I have never understood the idea of spending that kind of money on a house cleaning tool.
There's a lot of "Keeping up with the Joneses" involved in their apparent popularity, I reckon.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 01:23 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you cant afford a dyson buy a brush

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 02:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be too hard on popcorn in a relaxed setting that doesn't involve feature films - I presented a film show for a group last week who felt it was natural to then offer popcorn to the audience. What I really dislike at conventions is people who talk during the shows - it's particularly frustrating when you are viewing a rare item that you might never see again! There used to be a couple of guys at Tadley who always sat in the same area and never seemed to shut up for more than 30 seconds. I really should have said "Why do you attend these shows if they don't hold your interest?"

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 04:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a Delonghi.....boy does that have a lot of suck [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 04:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did we get from Film Conventions to vacuum cleaners! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC