8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Drive In Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drive In Video
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 06, 2013 02:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worth watching

http://vimeo.com/81040320

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that, Graham.

Beautifully filmed, and poignant.

Mike [Frown]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 07, 2013 04:38 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent film.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 11:46 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Graham. Thanks a lot.

I lost an hour of sleep last night watching not just that video but every other one in the "Dying of the Light" series at Humphries' account.

Some of the language isn't family-friendly, but that is a great documentary shaping up there.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2013 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have very mixed feelings about this: I hate to see them go digital, but by the same token these days it's probably have some some digital Drive-Ins or have none at all.

Of course there are some that can't make the jump and will go dark as a result. (Rest in peace.)

I'll still go when I get the chance, but it's kind of like going to a restaurant knowing instead of a Chef in the kitchen there's a guy with a big stack of frozen food and an industrial sized microwave oven...

Even if the food tastes the same...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2013 12:54 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
everything taste like like chicken.

good film and too bad about the changeover, I see why they have to change over for survival

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 08, 2013 03:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been going around for the last year filming on super 8 cinemas ripping out 35mm and installing Dig for what will be my latest epic. For me not only is loosing real celluloid a tremendous loss for many reasons but the amount of staff that have been made redundant is shocking and a point in cinema history which is tragic. The only upside I can see is that many of the projectors have been rescued from skips and installed in homes or shipped to the far east which at least means irreplaceable machinery has been preserved. It’s been a tricky project to film this, much more than any of my other film related super 8 films, it’s certainly taken long enough!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 08, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projection box shown in the film had one thing I never met in my years of being a projectionist: a motor drive on the 2000' rewind.

British cinemas were of the opinion that a film should be rewound gently by hand whilst holding the film between the finger and thumb of the left hand. This was to feel that everything was OK and there was no damage which might show on its next run.

The mechanism shown appeared to be the U.S. Century projector, if it was, it was similar to the British Westar (made by Western Electric) which I worked with for many years.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a drive in movie and it was very popular about 10 years ago

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2013 11:12 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good that some of the 35mm projectors are saved. If I had the room I would have one.

In the near future I hope this thread returns with the video projectors been junked and HD 35mm installed.

You can bet one thing, the stuff in now will last nowhere as long as the 35mm projectors.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 08, 2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC