8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What Did I Watch On DVD/Blu-Ray Last Night (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Did I Watch On DVD/Blu-Ray Last Night
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 05:13 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although mainly a reel film forum, I though we needed a tread for DVD/Blu-Ray. We have 8mm & 16mm.

Saturday night we watched "Where Eagles Dare" on Blu-Ray. I have the DVD, but got the Blu-Ray disc cheap along with "Kelly's Heroes" double set.

The content is the same as the DVD. I did notice an improvement in picture detail over the DVD, the audio just played through TV was just the same.

Now this is one of my all time favourite films. I have the MGM 3x400ft Laserdisc and 16mm complete, sadly flat.

This is one of the films in my opinion where everything fits together, the cast, action, and of course Ron Goodwin's score.

The next viewing must be my 16mm version though.

Front of House

-

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy signing off.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 07:01 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!David what a great film ,it,s one of mine favorite war movies,i agree absoluty about a tread for dvd/bluray,i do myself
runned a few months ago the where eagles dare,in dvd,i got also the 3x400ft in super 8 ,but i must admit see it in dvd in my 10feet screnn it,s in scope it,s simply great.

regards:
luis caramelo

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 09:11 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this film great set,lots of action and very atmospheric. Burton and Eastwood great combo

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2013 03:40 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Christmas Evening we had 'The Creature From The Black Lagoon' followed by 'The Invisible Man' finally we had to 'Dial M For Murder'.

My son corrected me when I said "shall we watch a film" his words "There not films no screen"

With Henry only 7 he does ask quite a few questions about the films, and he does enjoy watching them.

The wife watched the two Universal ones, but went to bed after about fifteen minutes of 'Dial M' her words too much talking.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 05:22 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To busy watching every Super 8 Christmas cartoon in the archive over 3 days. Would havebeen nice to fit in my Blu-ray of Scrooge.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 12:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched The Ten Commandments (23) a film I'd been wanting to see for a long time. A great piece of work.
Yesterday afternoon was Safe in Hell (31) starring the beautiful Dorothy Mackaill.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope to go to mum's Saturday for film, only 2 doors away. Sadly we struggle with films at home. One for my dad 'Dorsey's' film I bought last week. The description was seems like the feature with no plot just music.

Like Lee I want to show the kids 'A Walt Disney Christmas' plus some Tom & Jerry cartoons.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2013 09:47 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I watched "Cinerama Holiday" on Blu Ray. What a neat curio.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 28, 2013 12:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's film was the new restoration of The Big Parade (25). Beautiful.
The last hour of this film is still, to me, the most dramatic piece of work I've ever watched. It was Gilbert's finest hour.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2014 10:41 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Saturday the girls went out to a friends house, so just me & Henry first up was a 1926 one 'The General' followed by another train film 'Oh Mr Porter' from 1937 and we enjoyed them both. Henry was laughing at both of them.

Now that's not bad for two old black & white films.

The General had a soundtrack, but I was 50/50 over the music.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 06, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched a fairly new film with Sean Bean (love the actor) called "Black Death", a gothic style horror film (though taking place in 1348).

Very old school horror film. Rated R for vicious killing on screen, but literally no cussing and nu nudity. I was quite pleased, as they could have made this very naughty if they wished.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2014 03:06 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last few weeks we have watched 'Kelly's Heroes' on blu-ray. A couple of George Formby films 'Keep Fit' & 'Trouble Brewing' 'The Earth Dies Screaming' a 'B' movie. Also had o watch 'Where Eagles Dare' again.

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2014 03:15 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three Coins in the Fountain,great seeing Rome without cars or people!(almost)

--------------------
Trevor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 01:52 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blu-ray of "Zulu" 1964.....it looks impressive projected on the Panasonic VP.
 -

-

Graham. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 11:52 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screen shots Graham. I have to pick up the ' Zulu Blu Ray.
We watched The Mirror Cracke'd the film version of the Agatha Christie novel starring a host of Hollywood legends including Elizabeth Taylor, Kim Novak, Rock Hudson, Angela Lansbury and Tony Curtis. Not a great movie by any means, but definately a fun film for fans of these great stars.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched "Diamonds Are Forever" which shone on blu ray. It was supported by a super 8 trailer for "Octopussy".

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 07:13 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the weekend me and the wife saw three of our new BluRays.

Friday: "Frozen" (2013)
Saturday: "Blues Brothers" (1980) Extended edition
Sunday: "Animal House" (1978)

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 01:14 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a bit of an Albert Finney weekend. Saturday night was "Erin Brokowitz" and Sunday night was "Before the Devil Knows you're Dead", both on blu ray. In both cases, great performances, direction and script make an excellent movie. It's a simple formula.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 15, 2014 02:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night at the movies...."The Great Waldo Pepper" from 1975.....really nice movie, and music by Henry Mancini.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
Graham. [Smile]

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How the West was Won",with James Arness. A mere 40 hours long!

--------------------
Trevor

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2014 04:43 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also watched "allo,allo" and noticed Herr Flick uses a 16mm Specto projector!

--------------------
Trevor

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 02:16 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.

After our super 8 films I watched 'The Body Snatchers' aka 'Thin Air' It features some well known faces George Sanders, Maurice Evans, Patrick Allen and Neil Connery.

A typical 'B' of the time its still fun to watch.

For some reason a brief scene with Maurice Evans appears to be faded verging on red, but after the cut the same bit is back to normal.

A little bit of trivia the spaceship at the end looks like the
Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. one.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 17, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, it's the first time I see someone using "I shall" (but maybe you're using it as a joke). When I learned English at school (in the eighties), the teacher said the correct conjugation for "to be" was I shall, you will, he/she will and so on. "I will" was supposed to be used for insisting on the fact that the person who was talking was really willing to do what he or she annouces. But I realised quickly that all the Anglo-saxons always use "I will". The opposite rule, if I remember well, was to use "shall" instead of "will" for the other persons of the conjugation but, it seems that it is only used in "fixed" sentences like "Shall we dance ?"

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 17, 2014 03:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David has taken that straight from allo allo [Big Grin] British humor.

Funny thing though about the English language, the other day one of the drivers who comes from Hong Kong received a text from our boss and was confused about the term "swings and roundabouts" that was in it. He came to me the other day with another text about his run that included the words "stalemate". It was fun trying to explain things to him, but am sure there have been many other time he has been [Confused] I don't think our boss understands how hard it is for folk from other countries to figure out [Big Grin]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2014 01:32 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some "Quotes" from Allo Allo Quotes

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC