8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinerama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinerama
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New to DVD and Blu Ray here in America Cinerama Holiday and Cinerama South Sea Adventure. Never thought I would ever see these out on any home format. Glad to see. Was impressed with the DVD of How the West Was One. Hope they release This is Cinerama.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 07:57 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Guy,

You may be happy to learn that both This is Cinerama and Windjammer hit Blu-Ray and DVD last year:

http://flickeralley.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/this-is-cinerama-and-windjammer-home-video-premieres/

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know about Windjammer but I found out about This is Cinerama shortly after posting this. Won't be the same watching on television of course but I am fascinated by these films. By the way, South Sea Adventure is available as well.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 12:46 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to get "South Seas Adventure" either on DVD or Blu-ray next year. I am curious to see what it looks like after reading about the New Zealand segment using one very overloaded aircraft... [Eek!]
 -

Graham. [Smile]

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 06:53 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow; I wonder what the weight is of those cameras.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 15, 2014 04:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pod with the cameras in weighed just over 300 pounds another pod to house the batteries was hung on the opposite wing.

Quote from the book.

The rate of climb of the Auster with nothing but the cameras on was extremely slow, but with the skis as well it was painful. The cameraman was a chap called Paul Hill "sixteen-stone".

The Auster was dangerously underpowered for this job, and I certainly would not tackle it again. Nevertheless some quite spectacular results were achieved.

End of quotes.

Regarding Cinerama there is a excellent you-tube video "The Last Days of Cinerama-full documentary" 24 minutes long.
http://youtu.be/05BKZZ_59IQ

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC