8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Japanese film collectors ... in Japan?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Japanese film collectors ... in Japan?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 20, 2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have literally conquered every nation (in a matter of speaking) when it comes to finding prints that love, (except for the ever elusive "Grizzly")

... but the one nation that I have never had any luck at "cracking" is Japan!!! I know that there has to be collectors of super 8 film, packaged films or otherwise!

Does anybody know ANYBODY, in Japan, that I connect with. I am absolutely DYING to learn what could be available over there!

After all, being that Japan has had that Fuji film stock (which in most cases, holds up rather well), they're prints will tend to be pretty darned good. I have a Japanese print I lucked into (Japanese subtitles, English sound) of "Hooper" (Burt Reynolds), it's a super 8 optical sound feature, and the color is absolutely perfect and a lovely print.

HOW I would love to find other perhaps rare super 8 opticals from over there ...

perhaps ... a Fuji color print of Grizzly Adams? HMMMMMMM!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2013 04:25 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi You lucky man to have "Hooper" I have it on 16mm, but not watched for a while. I must admit its one of my ones to watch. Disengage brain and enjoy and feel happy. That's what watching films is about. Love these films where real life is put behind you. It is optical of course.

Its interesting to see what other countries had on film.

Happy Christmas Everyone

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 20, 2013 10:36 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick McGrath, member of this forum will be the best person to answer this as he livein Japan back and forward.

I found that there are plenty Japanese collectors however since they don't speak English well they tend not to join english forum.

I found they have their ownrelease (manga animation for example) and they are on Fuji. But Fuji will also fade. And some Japanese prints I found have faded to purplish.

Film shooters do also exist in Japan but yet we don't see them in 8mmfilmshooting forum.

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2013 04:45 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Japanese customer who usually orders 2 or 3 times a year, he lives in Tokyo.

So there are at least one who knows some English.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 04:38 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think language can be a problem: Japanese people speak perfect English. There must be a different reason but I cannot figure it out...

--------------------
Maurizio

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 04:42 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold a trailer reel to a Japanese collector a few years ago. Don't remember his name.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 09:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Japanese people speak perfect English.
Yes some of them speak English. But I am quite sure as I am also Asian, people in Asia (especially Eastern part) tend no to join with those speak in different language because of their afraid to make a mistake.

It is because of my job's background that making me different.

--------------------
Winbert

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2013 04:44 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Japanese people speak perfect English"
This is very funny.
Yes, most Japanese learn English in school, but it's a bit like the old practice of learning Latin. Most people don't use it, therefore they do not retain it.
There are exceptions of course, but if you think you can walk up to a random Tokyo resident and start conversing, you would be wrong.
As far as film collecting or collectors, they seem to be scarce. I've seen and purchased a few projectors, but never a single film. Anywhere.
I did sell a film to someone in Tokyo, but my attempt to communicate further about the hobby went unanswered.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC