8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Saving Mr. Banks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saving Mr. Banks
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 20, 2013 07:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from seeing this new movie about Walt Disney and the story of making Mary Poppins. Emma Thompson is outstanding as P.L. Travers, the author of the book, who resists every attempt by Walt Disney to make the film. Hanks is great as Walt, who eventually charms the author into agreeing to his project.
The whole film is suprisingly emotional. A lot of people teared up, especially at the end, watching Thompson watching the premier of the film with Walt.
A great film indeed, and a great tribute to Walt and his studio.
An absolute must see for all Disney buffs.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2013 02:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I know i will love this film also Paul when i get to see it. As i said earlier in the forum i had the full feature of Mary Poppins once in the early 90,s and regretfully sold it back to Derann when i gave the hobby up at the end of the 90,s. Its a film i loved in childhood and i find the whole story of the war between Walt and p l travers fascinating as i believe they were both very driven characters striving for perfection in what they did and were very much used to having things their own way. I think the Author secretly modelled a lot of Mary Poppins personallity on herself it would appear.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 21, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
I think this film will create a lot of renewed interest in Walt Disney, Pamela Travers, and the Mary Poppins book and film. I certainly intend to sit through another screening of Mary Poppins.
You are so right about them both being driven to perfection. The film is really great for the verbal sword fencing between the two of them. The difference being that Walt never uttered a cruel word to her, but she was very abrasive to Walt and the studio personnel, and you can see the hurt in his face when she called his films "childish cartoons".
Walt's legacy of course will be everlasting, and I can think of no better role model for the human race.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2013 03:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here Paul! if Walts masterpieces are considered to be nothing more than Childish cartoons then consider me the biggest kid of em all. I love all of his work and consider each and every one of his feature length masterpieces as works of art. I truly treasure every Super 8 Disney feature i have and although I know Derek Simmonds wouldn't agree, i consider these prints as some of the most collectable from Derann.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review Paul, it's made me confident to see it.
This brings to mind when Robert Downey Jr. portrayed Chaplin and he was phenomenal.

There's a worthwhile documentary about the Sherman Brothers.
It reveals their song writing genius on their previous work and the unique
relationship with Walt.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul

Look forward to seeing when it comes out here.

Graham [Smile]

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2013 06:36 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see this film, have heard nothing but great reviews it appears to be a wonderful tribute to the magnificent man himself Walt Disney

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 02:37 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was hoping to see it here on holiday in Wales but it's just about finished at local cinemas.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 22, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is currently running a 7.8 rating on the IMDB. Everybody seems to love it.
Academy awards?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2013 02:40 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is absolutely right about the emotional effect the film had. We went to see it at our "digitalised" Herne Bay "kavanagh" and ther were quite a few "hankies" at the end. Emma Watson was excellent as P.L. Travers and Tom Hanks made a very good Disney. My only adverse comment was that his make up did not seem quite right to me. I think it was the eyebrows. Ken Finch.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 02:19 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful film! Everyone did great especially Emma Thompson.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2014 06:41 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was simply smashing! My wife and I loved it. We'll never look at "Mary Poppins" the same way ever again now that we know the back story. Did a lot of reading on line about Travers and there's some neat interviews with her on YouTube, as well.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC