8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Who Shot some film over Christmas ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Shot some film over Christmas ???
Doug Arnott
Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2013 05:14 PM      Profile for Doug Arnott   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who else is still shooting some 8 or super 8 film during the holidays ? I dug a couple rolls of ecktachrome 160 sound film out of the freezer and shot it Christmas day in between the digital video footage. Amongst comments of "what is that thing ? Get with the times" and "wow that camera sounds like a machine gun or something" LoL
I'm saving the other roll for New Years eve. Film rescue international will still process this EM-26 process film for 34 a roll.
I try to anytime I shoot any digital video to at least shoot a little real film and save it for posterity.
So share what you've been shooting, what kind of film, and what cameras you shot it on. Long live real film !!!!

Happy Holidays everyone !! [Smile] [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 29, 2013 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just before Christmas I went up to Maine. Beyond stuffing myself with Seafood and Chowder I went here:

Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum

-and shot two rolls of 100D of narrow gauge steam railroading in the snow at their annual Victorian Christmas. The film is ready to go to Dwayne's tomorrow morning.

What was neat about it is their resident (professional) filmmaker was there and after I introduced myself we finally talked in person after e-mailing back and forth about 5 years now.

I was down at the station, getting ready to go back to the hotel when another guy saw my camera (Minolta XL-401) and asked "Is that Super-8?!". We talked about 10 minutes. Somewhere up in Massachusetts, I think a camera just came off somebody's shelf!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 29, 2013 07:25 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot some footage in 9,5. My camera often attracts attention but always on a positive way. Some people after having asked which gauge it is, and said that they have a super 8 camera somewhere, ask if there is still camera film available.

--------------------
Dominique

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2013 12:28 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot some double 8mm E100D with my Bolex D8. I always shoot 8mm for Christmas. I also shot some Fujifilm FP-100C and FP-3000B with my Polaroid 250 Land Camera, 35mm Fuji Velvia 100 with my View-Master camera, Kodak T-max 100 120 film with my Mamiya C3 and Some 35mm Kodacolor Gold 400 with my Minolta Hi-Matic F Rangefider. I have a lot of film to get developed. I'll be doing adonal 1-100 stand development at home with the 120 T-Max black and white film as soon as I shoot one more picture to finish the roll.

Doug Arnott
Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2013 09:53 AM      Profile for Doug Arnott   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all great to hear [Smile] Getting ready to shoot that other roll of ecktachrome 160 sound film tonight with my Cannon AF 514 xl. Gotta love auto focus with super 8 !!
I wish I could find a 100 foot roll of regular 8 to load up in my old Bolex H8. The regular 8 film situation is getting very frustrating in general ... sigh.. well just shoot what I can find when I can find it. Happy new Year everyone !!!!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2013 11:15 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish I could find a 100 foot roll of regular 8 to load up in my old Bolex H8. The regular 8 film situation is getting very frustrating in general ... sigh.. well just shoot what I can find when I can find it. Happy new Year everyone !!!!
Let's hope ferrania changes that soon.

Doug Arnott
Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 04:30 AM      Profile for Doug Arnott   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yessss cmon ferrinia ! Crossing my fingers and saying a little prayer for them.
Was looking at thier site a few minutes ago. Interesting new blog from the pres. There. He reprinted the old Scotch chrome spec. sheet. They're definetly thinking about small gauge movie film [Smile] [Cool] [Wink] [Smile] [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 01, 2014 09:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me!!!!!
Went along to a steam railway we had never visited before and took some Agfa 200D with me in the camera, oh plus beloved wife. Delightful day and wonderful to see all the youngsters enjoying seeing Santa and the Christmas spirit when visiting the Toyland platform stop which made us feel 7 again.

-

I’m pretty hooked on this 200D stuff which gives handy lighting flexibility and if used in a decent camera with a good lens the results are more than adequate.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2014 05:16 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

I would love to try some Agfa 200D but how does this compare with the old Fuji Single-8 200N. I used a fair bit of that in the past using my Fuji P2 camera. Exposure in dimley lit rooms was good as was the colour but the film was very grainy (which took the edge off the sharpness a little I thought). Despite the grain it was still the best film I had to use indoors.

Whats the Agfa 200D film like for grain, colour and contrast?

Graham S

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 05:37 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot some footage over Christmas on 200D. I am using this to great success in "existing light" settings. Colour reproduction is far better than the old Ektachrome 160. I think this 200D really is a superb film; yes, grain is present but you soon forget about it and the results of indoor filming make you far less aware of this than if filming outside.

At the recent Blackpool film event, I filmed at both the evening meal and the convention itself, on 200D with my Canon 1014 XLS. Results were excellent, given the non too brilliant light. What I do is to send two or three cartridges at a time back to Dwayne's Photo in the USA, asking them to send two or three new films back with the processed film. This works out well, with a two week turnaround. I have tried processing places in the UK, but waiting nearly two months is no good. Dwayne's are universally good, time on time.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 05:04 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finishing off the last of my Ektachrome 100D and just ordered two cartridges of the Wittnerchrome 200D from Dwayne's. After reading what Lee and Simon have posted I'm really looking forward to shooting with it [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 06, 2014 07:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Graham. I’m pleased to say 200D is a hell of allot better than the old Fuji stuff much of which I used back then in my Scope P2. It is a handy stock which obviously does not compare to K40 or 100D but it does give increased flexibility, pretty good results in the right hands and a decent lens on your camera. I am using a Nizo 6080 and Beaulieu both of which have excellent optics.

Processing you have a few options in the UK
1/ If you have the time to wait 1 to 2 months Gaugefilm will do it for £12.99 Only 69p return postage a popular chap so expect to wait.
2/ A quicker service is available from Bluecinetech at £13.99 typically 2 to 3 weeks and if doing 10 films (group your pals processing and send a job lot) you will get a discount. Return postage is £3.25

Have used these services at length and both are good.
Having filmed a Steam train Santa Special day over Christmas with plenty of colour around and a clear blue sky at times I am keen to see what my latest results will bring with the 200D stock these being ideal filming conditions.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2014 12:57 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Schwind of INTERNATIONAL FILM BROKERS posted on another forum that he is going to be getting Wittnerchrome 200D in Regular 8mm soon so it will be available in the US. It looks like he does have it available in Super 8 and 16mm listed as AGFA 200D.

INTERNATIONAL FILM BROKERS

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 10, 2014 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got both of my rolls back today.

100D is (...was??) an awesome stock! Based on what I just saw I would be glad to buy a lot more of it if I only could!

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2014 09:10 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got my 200D in today. I'm hoping the results are even better than with the 100D....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 11, 2014 09:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind that at all!

I would expect it to be grainer than 100D: maybe more like 64T.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC