8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Titling Services

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Titling Services
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 03, 2014 04:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to titling services? Did they go the way of the Dodo? The two I most remember were Cine-Kodak Film Services and S.J.Seccombe.

Kodak offered a range of services on 8mm and 16mm. Machine made standard titles, hand-lettered titles, reproductions from supplied still photos, cleaning. In the case of 16mm they also offered duplicates. The services were either black & white or Kodachrome colour.

S.J.Seccombe Cine Services of Exeter in Devon offered even more than Kodak, including 9.5mm. I remember when referring to the latter they said that their normal fast service was a trifle slower with 9.5mm as they waited until they had a charger full before it was sent for processing.

I once called in to their premises and saw some grey Debrie projectors and was told they did regular weekly film shows for hotels. A year or so later my wife and I were on holiday in Teignmouth and they came one evening for a show. Their films were all free-loan from Sound Services! We didn't stay to watch as all the films were the same as I had recently shown to various clubs in the Taunton area where I lived for many years.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 05:29 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice

I am sure the last time I heard about them was in ACE magazine, around '94/'95? If I recall, it was a letter from S. J. Secombe himself, talking about services offered. But now, if you look up their address on Google Earth, it appears to be modern-day three-storey housing. So, if it was a shop you visited, this must have been demolished.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 03, 2014 05:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon
It was probably in the early 80s when I went there. It was a private house, 11 Countess Wear Road, Exeter, EX2 6LU.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 08:01 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long since retired (from personal knowledge) though still involved in book publishing last time I was in contact.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 12:47 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another blast from the past, just been looking at some adverts for the titling service. I had a few done years ago and they were very professional. Somewhere I have some cells for filming myself.

I believe they also at one time had a film hire service.

One more sadly missed business.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC