8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Polar Vortex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polar Vortex
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 06, 2014 09:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst many UK residents are suffering from flooding, either from the sea, a local river, or a combination of both, nothing here can compare with the Polar Vortex which has hit the North American continent.

I have just been watching Sky News showing all the snow with the correspondents talking about unbelievable low temperatures.

I am sure we all hope that members in the US are keeping warm and are not suffering too much from the horrible weather.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2014 12:47 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem were having in the Northwest is a lack of snow. We rely a lot on the snow pack in the mountains for our water and a large amount of that falls in December. We were dry for most of that month. We don't usually see a lot of really cold weather or snow in the Seattle area due to the low elevation and proximity to water but rain is usually plentiful.

Some of the ski areas are closed due to lack of snow which is very unusual for this time of the year. I went snowboarding this weekend for the first time this season because they just got a good snowfall on Thursday. I think everyone had the same idea, I've never seen it that crowded up there. The ski areas make most of their money over the holidays so I'm sure this hit them hard.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a heavy one inch rainfall last night, which melted most of the 5-6 inches of snow we got on Saturday. It was a nice sunny day here in northeastern Pennsylvania today, with temps in the 40s. It's 7 p.m. here now, and the temperature is dropping and I can hear the wind outside picking up. Down to 22 degrees now... The wind chill tomorrow could be 15-25 below zero, with a high temp of only 7 degrees. Glad I no longer have to carry the mail satchel! [Eek!]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 06, 2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In R.I. here it was 52 today and raining. The foot of snow we just got is gone!

UPDATE!

The next day it was 10.

[ January 08, 2014, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2014 09:07 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday night 11pm it was 40 degrees F and raining...noon today (Monday) zero degrees F! Not sure about the wind chill but the winds blowin' good...it's frigid. Today is my day off thankfully but tomorrow back on the road with the same temps...been watching films today!

Bill [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 07, 2014 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today has to be either the coldest day I've ever experienced or a close runner up, and I've been to Russia in February!

-got in my car this morning, saw "5" on the outside temperature; had faint hope it was Celsius, but deep down I knew it was Farenheight and just couldn't admit it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11:15 a.m. -4F with -25 degree wind chill [Eek!] Here in Pa. we are very fortunate compared to other parts of the country!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2014 11:11 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Chicago, its was -16 F (-26.7 C) plus a foot of snow. The wind chill last night was -45 F (-42.8 C). Even with portable heaters and gas furnace, it was still chilly.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 07, 2014 11:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this reminds me of the tale when my better half was born during the 60’s in good old UK in a snow storm with gusts of up to 88 knots, bitter cold down to -22c in places and snow drifts 9ft high a story beloved often tells. The thaw came and as some older folk will remember much flooding took place sorry to say.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2014 12:13 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winter 1962/3. I remember it well.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 07, 2014 01:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winter 1969, it was!

Snow so heavy they gave up plowing the residential streets and kept only the main roads open. There were these little 2 foot wide canyons running everywhere.

We had two cars in the driveway: didn't see either of them for like a week!

We had to ride a bus to Grandpa's 70th Birthday party. The cars we're a half mile from usable pavement, even if we could excavate all the way down to them.

-and that's the day he announced he was moving to Florida!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
I was just a teenager in the winter of '62 and living in a small village which was cut off by 6 foot drifts of snow. We were unable to get to work for days. Absolutely fantastic and exciting to me and a group of friends. I remember we walked along the frozen canal to the nearby pub and had a pint in front of a roaring open fire and then walked some more along the canal. I will never forget those days. I don't ever remember feeling cold. We were just enjoying it so much. Sounds like the US has got it much worse than we ever have and our feelings go out to those suffering from it.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 07, 2014 01:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope your weather improves folks, years ago we new an American who for many years would spend his time summer in New York State where he actually lived, in the summer, then would come out here and spend Southern summer with friends out here. He was retired and had led a most interesting life.

Anyway, took a couple of photos out and about last night....
 -
Grandson casting giant shadow...great imagination
 -
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2014 03:20 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rub it in Graham!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 07, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah! [Cool] but underneath that beauty and only 10 miles of shore, is that fault line that shook this place violently a number of times back in 2011. A lot of people have since moved well away from this side of the city.

However we are staying put and at long last, after lots of stalling from the insurance people etc, this year things will get fixed. [Smile]

Anyway folks as you enter your ice age let me know and I can cheer you up and post you a photo of the sun [Wink] ...just kidding.

Graham [Smile]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 10:39 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you're still dealing with that Graham, that's almost criminal on the part of the insurance companies.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 08, 2014 10:47 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Graham it took 2 years to get things started. Insurance companies are all the same no matter where they are. They just don't like to give that money out.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 08, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bureaucracy that was put into place just after 2011 has been a absolute nightmare to deal with. The trouble is you are having to deal with people over the phone, or on the computer, but "never in person" that are situated in another city, say Auckland, or even another country Brisbane, Australia.

The builders that are going to fix this house told me that the money was running out and the lucky ones, were the ones that got paid out a lot earlier...great eh! so much for having a premiere full house replacement policy that we have being paying into over 30 years, in the end it really means nothing.

The thing is to remain positive otherwise it will drag you down health wise and a house is just not worth it. I keep telling my wife don't worry about this place, it will get fixed in the end.

Graham

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC