8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Run Run Shaw Dies at 107

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Run Run Shaw Dies at 107
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 04:08 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hong Kong film producer Run Run Shaw has died aged 107.

I didn't know that he was involved as producer of 'Bladerunner' His studios co-produced two Hammers films. Of course he was also in the west famous for the Kung-Fu aka Chop Sockie films, I used to watch them at the local cinema in the 70's for some reason they were always 'X' certs.

Rest in peace Mr Shaw.

BBC News

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 06:52 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extraordinary man. The BBC report does not mention any details about his brothers but the Hong Kong studio was called Shaw Brothers (equivalent to Warner Brothers?) and was very prolific. I believe that the dialogue of the Kung Fu films were said to be 100% dubbed making for speed in shooting as well as easier export. Bruce Lee starred in some of them. The Kung Fu films were considered too violent for children in Britain but now could probably shown with "12A" or even "PG" in the UK.

--------------------
Paul.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 08, 2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear this but at least anyone who reaches 107 has reached an exceptional age. Shaw Brothers made some very impressive films but in fact Bruce Lee didn't appear in any of them, despite the offers he received. One of their top stars was David Chiang, who was the leader of the brothers in the first co-production with Hammer - 'Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC