8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » R.I.P. Shirley Temple

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: R.I.P. Shirley Temple
Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2014 06:47 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shirley Temple died at age of 85

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 06:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She died of natural causes at her home in Woodside, California. It was said that Fox pushed her into many films a year when she was young in the belief that her popularity would wane when she got older.
They were right, although she did take early retirement from the movies.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 04:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad new.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From childhood I knew the song "On The Good Ship Lollipop" but it was only many years later after viewing "Bright Eyes" (1934) that I realised that Shirley was not singing about a naval vessel, but actually an aeroplane!

Yesterday Sky News showed this excerpt using a colorized print, BBC TV News showed the same excerpt but it was pleasing to see their print was in black & white.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2014 05:41 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad. Talented lady. Most of her 1940s films were very routine and unsuitable but there were two excellent comedies, Kiss and Tell (1945) and Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer (aka Bachelor Knight, 1947 in the UK)with Cary Grant, that I enjoyed.

--------------------
Paul.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 12, 2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually nice to see a child star that grew up to survive the experience so well, most of them didn't. She was quite a lady, even after she wasn't a movie star anymore.

A couple of years ago we were in a mall and this fairly gorgeous young woman walked up to us and said "Your son would be great for TV or print ads.".

Of course it was a scam, but even if it wasn't my attitude is still "Go awaaaayyy!".**

-I'd rather see him grow up to be a perfectly contented bookkeeper than a strung out former child celebrity.

** I didn't actually say this: she was after all fairly gorgeous...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 04:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always be remembered.
 -

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2014 07:11 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1935 -36- 37 , her pictures sold more box office tickets than any other star in Hollywood.
In the 70 plus years since, no studio/producer has been able to find another Shirly Temple.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2014 04:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox recognized Shirley's star potential in the Baby Burlesque series that were being produced at Educational

Pictures and they were desperate to sign her to a contract in order keep the studio from bankruptcy.

Unbeknownst to Zanuck, these shorts were already being distributed by them and they suddenly hustled not

to lose her to other studios.

Europeans were convinced that she was not a child. but instead a small person.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 19, 2014 11:38 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Greene had some comments which led to trouble and a successful libel action.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/life/long-life/9141712/alexander-chancellor-maybe-its-because-im-not-a-clergyman-or-jimmy-savile-but-shirley-temple-doesnt-do-it-for-me/

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC