8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » An American Tourist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An American Tourist
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 09, 2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this....what do they teach in schools these days? [Roll Eyes]
 -

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 07:56 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hahaha,
I dont know what to say about that Graham but it is funny.
But on a serious note it says a lot for education these days.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 09, 2014 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yyyyep!!

-they stopped teaching Geography as a subject even before I went to school (I taught myself...) and History is basically knowing which game console you last owned.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Aotearoa! All I had to learn when I arrived from the UK was sweets aren't sweets, they are lollies and there are no such things as lorries, only trucks. Crisps are chips and chips are hot chips! Apart from that, it was plain sailing!

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 09:01 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is sad. I must say too many Americans are very ignorant. Kind of reminds me of the film Talking To Americans, which showed how ignorant of Canada we are. I always said my Canadian friend learned more about US history in school then we ourselves did.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 09, 2014 09:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An old company of mine had a sales office in Montreal. The Canadian Regional Sales Manager told me he had an entire year of US history in high school!

This geography problem is not just an international thing either: a frightening fraction of the country doesn't know New Mexico is actually American!

-shame: It's kind of nice, actually!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2014 10:28 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our current president stated recently that he "Was very happy to have finally visited all of our 54 states"

(no joke)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 12, 2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a visit to the "South Island" back in 1999 of a certain tourist, stopping here for a break "playing golf" after a leaders APEC meeting. Also not shown in this photo is the "Chinese Premiere" aircraft parked up close to the 747 as well.

I always thought it was strange...here was two of the most powerful men in the world arriving at the same time, both having "time out" one on the golf course, the other visiting a local farm and talking to the kids about his own farming background.... and as far as the international news media were concerned, were not in the slightest bit interested in any of it.

Everyone needs "time out", to get away from official duties, both those leaders seemed to be enjoying...just that.
 -
[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC