8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » House Repairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: House Repairs
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 23, 2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven weeks gone and three more weeks to go then we can move back in [Smile] .

I might sound strange, but its been 7 weeks without running any of my babies "projectors that is" I do miss them [Frown] looking forward to getting back. I called in the other day and so far the new steel reinforced concrete ring foundation is looking good. The house had been lifted and supported while the old was removed with jack hammers etc...so its back down on the new stuff and at the moment all the interior cracking is being repaired, and hopefully all the storm water drains replaced. Its been quite a big job to get things done, with still more ahead in the coming weeks.

The last three years has been hard going dealing with insurance companies etc, its been a real grind. We are looking forward to getting back and for me "chilling" out and running my babies [Big Grin] I will say this though, I never want to go through a repeat of those "earthquakes" and the after effects of all this ever again.
 -
 -
...da da... sitting on its new ring foundation.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hope you get everything up and runng soon my friend keep us posted

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, Pleased to see your home is at last nearing completion with the repairs, and hope all goes well in the future. We visited New Zealand and Christchurch a few years ago just before the earthquake and it was sad to see the destruction it caused to such a lovely city on the news and your pics. It reminded me somewhat of the results of the the London blitz that I experienced as a young child. I also wonder if we will experience more serious earthquakes here if the government go ahead and start allowing Fracking to take place in what is left of the Weald of Kent to extract what is believed to be substantial oil deposits!! Ken Finch. :rolleyes.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 24, 2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, fracking in the USA is now getting very widespread, in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Dakota, and many more places yet to come.
I regard Fracking (hydraulic fracturing) as a ticking time bomb for the environment. The biggest problem will be ground water and aquifer contamination, rendering vast area of the USA as having undrinkable water. You can also include, ground collapse, sinkholes, and earthquakes, as the price to pay for the rush to cheap oil and gas.
I hope the British Government has more sense than to allow fracking in the UK.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 24, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful to see that all is nearing completion and your ordeal coming to an end.
Sometimes trials such as these help open our eyes.
[Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 24, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always frightening to think that you can loose everything in a few minutes...

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 24, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 24, 2014 05:43 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham

I so glad you will be back home soon. AS Paul mentioned we are experiencing things over here we never did before. The earth is falling apart. Earthquakes where they never happened before, sinkholes all over, tornedos when they never happened, tsunamis, and flooding like we have never seen. All due to global warming I think. Be well my friend.

PatD

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 24, 2014 10:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So glad construction is nearing completion Graham. There's no place like home [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2014 12:13 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good Graham!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 25, 2014 01:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile]

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2014 03:00 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I understand your misgivings about fracking. Lots of people share them, and I agree we must proceed with sensible caution. But if there is groundwater and aquifer contamination, it will undoubtedly come from aboveground spills, which ought to be guarded against in any event. The shale deposits being harvested from fracking are beneath dense layers of rock, typically thousands of feet thick. The aquifers are above those same layers. The only way contamination could occur is if mighty fissures open in the rock and travel thousands of feet, something that geologists assure us is unlikely. This same fact also explains why earthquakes, sinkholes, and other such catastrophes as a direct result of fracking are unlikely. But I want to stress, I advocate sensible caution as we proceed with this technology, as do many others.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 21, 2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we got the OK to move back in last weekend, although the house is not finished on the outside, but its getting there [Smile]

Its been interesting talking to the sub contractors and over those last 11 weeks have kept an eye on the quality of the work "tech drawings" being carried out, and its been good. The budget of $80.000 I would say, has well and truly gone and climbed to more like $100.000 dollars. Thank goodness the Earthquake commission and the insurance are paying for all of this, as its getting very expensive. [Eek!]

Still working at moving our stuff in around the builders, its amazing the junk you collect over the years [Eek!] ....and a good time for a clean out [Smile]

In a couple of weeks time I hope to sign of the repair work as all ok... we will be happy... the contractors will be happy, they will receive the final payments, and hope the quakes of 2011 never return.

Graham.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 21, 2014 02:55 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham

Glad to hear things are progressing well. However, being collectors of sorts we need photos and videos! This look good from the other photos you posted. keep us informed please.

PatD

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 21, 2014 03:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shall do Pat [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 01:39 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its finally finished [Smile] the engineers did a audit of the foundation last Friday and the repairs have passed. The "bill" for the repair work has just come in at $105.000 ie "One Hundred and Five Thousand Dollars" [Eek!]

Its been one long haul, but we got there and celebrated with a bottle of wine.

All up and apart from the three double big ones on Feb, June and Dec 2011 we completely lost track of the number of large aftershocks that continued almost nightly at one point right through 2011.

The one item in our house and that's this light was what we used to watch swinging away. One such night Yvonne watched it swing side ways until the edge of the shade was banging away on the ceiling while Yvonne held on in the kitchen, and that was just one of many aftershocks in the magnitude of just over 5 not the big ones which went into the 6 bracket, which would trigger the liquefaction.

We never want to go through anything like that "year" ever again our nerves just wont take it. Anyway better think "positive" and hope mother nature is finished with us for another 100 years [Smile]

Our swinging light...not anymore.
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 03:44 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's hoping your light fitting stays perfectly still for you Graham from here onwards!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 12:21 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a survivor of the Northridge earthquake (in Northridge), I must say congratulations, Graham, and so glad for you to have all that behind you. Go lace up and enjoy a movie for us!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 01:54 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I agree with Pat the world seems to be falling apart and we have had nothing but record heat here in August of 117 all week which is not the normal at all for August!! Well what can I say we live in the desert.

Hang in there Graham and hope you can soon start enjoying the hobby
once again. Good luck with everything & try and stay positive!

RS

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 05:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone [Smile]

Roger.. Those incredibly high temperatures of 117... I do hope will come down soon for you.

Regards Graham.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 07:44 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The build looks great Graham! What a hassle that must have been for you. 105,000 you say...wow...that is alot of super 8's he hee.
Glad it is done and all is safe!!
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC