8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » USPS Service

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USPS Service
Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here ever have this happen to them.On May 14th I mailed a trailer to a fellow forum member here by priority mail.He has bought films from me before.

They were going to deliver the trailer on May 16th.When I checked the tracking number,it said wrong address and it was being returned to sender(me.) Mind you,I have mailed to this address before.I waited a week for it,then I gave them a call.The film was only coming from New York City to Rhode Island.They said don't worry,it's coming.

Two weeks go by and still no film.So called again and as before it's on the way.Waited another week and still no film.Called and opened a claim which is still pending.Also asked for an inquiry,got a confirmation number and they will call me in a couple of days.Well they called me today and said the film is on it's way back to me.I asked them so you found the film and he said no but it's on it's way back to me.

Any advice?I think I will wait couple more days then call back and bug them.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a small package from my daughter who lives in Philadelphia (90 miles away.) the package was sent by Priority Mail.

It went through 4 distribution centers and arrived at my place 28 DAYS later.

At least it arrived [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Jon

[ June 04, 2014, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Jon Addams ]

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2014 02:48 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer I sold a Standard 8mm Castle digest to a young lady just starting out as a collector. I live in Burbank, California. She lives in North Hollywood, California, which borders our city to the west. It would be literally a 20-minute drive from my home to hers, and only owing to traffic would it take even that long.

Feeling expansive when I got to the post office, I decided to spend just a tad more and ship the package First Class rather than reduced rate Media Mail.

Something like nine days later, I got a concerned e-mail from my customer. "Where is my package?"

I had given her a tracking number, but I checked it myself. Her parcel had gone all the way to a USPS sorting center in Missouri and was winding its way back to us across two-thirds the breadth of North America!

In fact, her one humble parcel did more traveling last year than I did. It finally arrived, and in fine shape. All's well that ends well, I guess.

For the sake of fairness, I have a high school friend and a nephew who both work for the U.S. Postal Service back East, and from their stories I gather that the agency is actively working to improve itself. We all hear stories of the snafus, sometimes humorous, but my friend and my nephew both assure me that many prudent steps have been taken toward efficiency and improved service. We shall see. :-)

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 04, 2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't understand is why you can sometimes ship a 200' film 1st class mail for less than media mail.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the USPS is simple, too many bosses, managers, etc., etc. and not enough actual workers...
Many thousands of mail handler, letter carrier, and clerk jobs in the U.S. Postal Service were eliminated over the last decade due to automation that was not really ready to be implemented [Frown]
These were the people who made sure our packages and mail got to where it was supposed to go the first time!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC