8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Film Cement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Cement
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 02:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As this applies to all film gauges I am using General Yak.

What film cement is generally available and what do members consider the best?

Many years ago I used Embacoid, then later it was improved by the introduction of Tricoid, but nowadays I have no idea what to buy.

I have used tape for many years, mainly with the CIR splicers as we did in the cinema, the 16mm version is fine, but the little Super 8 model is not entirely satisfactory due to the very small cutting teeth needed for the little perforations. It also has to perforate four holes at a time and rarely does this.

So, for non-polyester films I am thinking of going back to cement.

Members' view are welcome.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 04:17 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have never used cement splices. Hama seems the most popular on ebay

A couple of links:

This vendor also has film cleaner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cine-Film-Cement-25ml-for-splicing-on-super-8-Standard-8mm-16mm-9-5mm-splicer-/261505582189?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&h ash=item3ce2f2846d

For Hama

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=film+cement&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H1.Xhama+film+cement&_nkw=hama+film+cement&_sacat=0

Like you Maurice I use a CIR for 16mm, the only one I have ever had and its quite good.

For super 8 It was a 'Quik Splice' cheap quick, but did not cut on the frame line so lost two frames. Then CIR like you always had problems with the perf cutting, now use Wurker but tapes expensive.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 04:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Many thanks for your comments and help.
If you wish to cut on the Super 8 frame line you can use the CIR for cutting and the Quik Splice for joining.

--------------------
Maurice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 09:51 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Kodak film cement.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Hama but also tape when I don't want to loose a frame in sound films. In 9,5 I use tape to repair damaged perforations as they make loops looses.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Film Cement only seems to be available in the UK in large 473ml cans @ £28.80 ($48.87.)

--------------------
Maurice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kodak is available here in the small bottles with brushes.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 10:30 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak film cement works great if you keep it fresh (like all film cements). Buying Kodak by the pint can be very cost effective and a relief to know you have plenty on hand. I just refilled three 1 ounce bottles (2 Kodak and 1 Craig) with cement from my Kodak pint can I have had for at least five years. I am down to the last 1/4 can yet the cement still works like fresh from a new bottle. I purchased the can of cement new stock and have always used it to fill 1 ounce bottles and then immediately carefully put the cap back on tight. I tape the cap sealed with several windings of electrical tape and put the can in a zip lock bag with the air squeezed out. If any doubts as to the quality of cement left in a bottle = pour it out and refill fresh from the can.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2014 12:01 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak cement with a Bolex bevelled splicer. I bought a pint of Kodak film cement several years ago, I think it may last forever. The Bolex bevelled splicer makes the best cement splices consistently.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bottle of Craig cement from the 60's...still works fine.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC