8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Do you wash your chicken ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you wash your chicken ?
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 03:47 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was said in the news on Belgium television that it is not advised to wash a chicken before cooking it as this may spread the bacterias. But it was also said that this recommandation applies to UK as it seems that half of the British wash their chiken before putting it in the oven. What a strange habit. What's the purpose of doing that as at the high temperature needed for cooking a chicken you are 200 % sure that no bacteria will survive. Do members do that? And is it also a common habit in other Anglo-saxon (or other) countries ?

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 29, 2014 05:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,

We don't wash our chicken, but this is the best topic title ever to appear on this (or maybe any) forum!

(Maybe this is left over from the days when five minutes ago the thing had a head and feathers on it!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 05:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy you like the title ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2014 06:47 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I 'washed' my print of Laurel & Hardy's "Chicken(s) Come Home" in Thermofilm. Does that count? [Smile]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 07:24 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the title was a metaphor for something else...oops! [Eek!]
I wash my chicken, my mother washed her chicken, my father didn't, and I had a discussion the other day with a lady from Mexico about how sometimes chicken can have a 'funky' flavor to it. She said that she always washes chicken before she cooks it.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 09:12 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laugh of the day! Thanks Dominique.
I understand the seriousness of the topic but I can't help it. Hihihi. Sorry.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m English I wash chicken, well rinse it under the tap before cooking. Then clean up with anti bacterial spray in the sink.

I think its suggested as a good idea as bacteria can build up on the surface while stored etc.

Best Mark.

PS do it with fish too.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 10:09 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing, raw chicken is loaded with bacteria. The danger, as Mark points out, is not the cooked chicken, but the handling and preperation of the raw chicken prior to cooking. If you dont wash it first, you are going to spread bacteria all over your kitchen surfaces, sink, and other items. My wife always throroughly rinses the chicken in the sink and then drains it and places it into the cooking pan. She then scrubs the sink with Ajax and wipes off the counter top with anti-bacterial spray, and then scrubs her hands.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about choking me chicken? or is that another subject [Big Grin]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was a euthamism too [Smile] [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2014 02:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or is it chimp?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 29, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic [Smile] I haven't cooked a whole chicken in years...and when I did I don't remember washing it. These days I buy my chicken in pieces neatly individually frozen and ready to defrost and cook on the grill. I don't wash these pieces either, however every thing the chicken touches gets put in the dishwasher and I do wash my hands.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marissa says we do not wash our chickens because it can spread bacteria. And yes, this should be nominated for topic of the year in the General Yak category. (If there was an awards thing.)

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2014 04:33 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always wash our chicken that is not frozen. On the labels it sometimes says "packed in a protective atmosphere" I think that means some sort of gas to keep it 'fresh' longer.

I do wonder if some people know what a real chicken looks like?

Story the other day about taking kids round a farm. One asks "what's that?" the farmer replies "A cow" kid says "What's a cow" Farmer "Where you get milk from" Kids freaks out "Never having milk again"

Our food is now too sanitised been pre-packed and some people seem to think its really like that.

Go to Thailand a lot I would say the food is like it was here 50 years ago. I mean a chicken is still a chicken. There last year wife gone to see some family. Me still in house brother-in-law asks what do I want to eat Green Chicken Curry, so off he go's and kills one of the chickens.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 02:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you wash the inside of a chicken. Have you seen what was removed?

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 03:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom We had this on British TV. They washed the cluck over a sink also having the chick covered in UV gunk. This splashed on the window and under light you could see the bacteria on the window. Personally I would never cook any solid meat which had not been washed first under a very slow running tap to avoid splashing.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess habits have not always a rational base. In Belgium, we belive probably that tap water will not kill bacterias as efficientely as high temperature will. Also, water on meat may affect the taste. Seen from outside, some things done look strange. That's the case here (or with the other strange British habit of hiding the hands under the table when eating !). I suppose British think strange that one can eat snails (which I do).

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love snails when I'm abroad, but they are rarely seen on a British restaurant menu.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2014 09:44 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can send you many snails from our garden. The little sods are eating our plants.

It is amazing what different counties do eat, and other countries go yuk.

Back to Thailand the first time seeing them eating grasshoppers and silk type grubs I went YUK YUK. Then I tried them and what do you know they weren't too bad. They are fried of course.

We always wash meat, salads and vegetables. Mainly to try to get rid of all the chemicals they use on food stuffs.

Didn't see the TV when they washed it, but did they use a slow running tap? or for dramatic effect fast running so it went everywhere.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 10:47 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, we also wash salad, vegetables and fruits for the reason same you mentionned but meat is not supposed to have received after having been cut any chemicals that you could remove with tap water. If there is anything wrong with the meat, it will be inside it and not around and if so, the high temperature is supposed to kill the bacterias.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 11:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
After a busy day of strutting about and all that clucking and such, our chicken regularly takes himself off into our shower and gives himself a damn good scrub, he even uses a shower cap!

Now we just need to teach our dog to do the same after his long walk in the woods!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 11:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put that on youtube and it's a guaranteed buzz ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 11:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely wash your chicken, as Salmonella is certainly a re-occurring problem! My wife and I got terribly sick once from some cold deli fried chicken. Man, I don't want to go through THAT ever again!

(yes, we heated it up in the microwave before we ate.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 12:09 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the microwave is that the heatness is not spread everywhere at the same level (if that sentence is correct English). You may have a very hot part and beside an almost cold one, even with a turning dish system (that most of machines have). I had that several times with microwave.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 30, 2014 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...

Other than the splash thing, there is no harm in washing the "boyd", but even if you really thoroughly wash the thing using some kind of anti-bacterial soap (Yyyyum!) you won't actually kill all the critters, even if you got all the nooks and crannies you can't get very far beneath the surface.

BTW: I stand corrected: My wife does wash poultry. I asked "why" and she said "Because my Mom did."

(Cook 'em! Cook 'em long, cook 'em hot!)

What's interesting is when I was little, Mom decided to fatten me up by mixing raw eggs into my milkshakes. Apparently by modern standards I'm lucky to be alive now.

OK: does anybody wash beef or pork?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC