8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » US Mail

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US Mail
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 01, 2014 09:16 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got today (1st July) a parcell sent from the US on 26 th June. That was fast. Congratulations !

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 01, 2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,
The US mail often gets a bad rap in this country, mainly from people who do not think it should be a concern of the Government and should be privatized, but I have always found the service to be exemplary. I recently sent a piece of mail, by regular rates, to the UK, and it was received in 3 days! I also love the USPS flat rate boxes, where you can ship anything of any weight for a fixed flat rate, just as long as it fits in the box. Ideal for shipping fims within the US or overseas.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Peter Sandford
Junior

- posted July 01, 2014 10:31 AM      Profile for Peter Sandford   Email Peter Sandford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,

I was shocked as-well to get a parcel sent on the 26th june and it arrived today from the States [Smile]

Thank you Clay you are a gent [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 01, 2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too just sent a package to the UK via First Class USPS. It was delivered in 6 days.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was pretty fast Peter. You are very welcome. The United States Postal Service in our area is top notch. Our regular postman Greg is fantastic. Hope the postal service can hang in there. We give them all our business and support them all we can.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 01, 2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All I would say to all of our friends across the pond is, mark your parcel as "of no commercial value"! I have been bit so many times by the UK Customs & Excise regarding excessive insurance on items sent, it really doesn't matter on shipment times as it spends twice as long in Parcel Force depots waiting for the recipient to somehow find a third of the value of the film extra all because of ridiculous declared values of the contents of the package.

It would be nice if there was more trust, that the parcel was sent recorded but with no particular value attached to it. That way, everyone stays happy sending items across the globe.

I have never had an item lost or damaged (films that is) by sending recorded delivery with a decent renowned courier either as the sender or as the recipient. However it seriously puts me right off trying to cement any deal from the US or Australia whilst I am continually charged excessive import taxes on products very often manufactured in the midlands, UK, and have already had the VAT paid once at the time of purchase!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2014 04:09 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be a hater or a naysayer-- I love me some USPS-- but I did have that experience last summer of mailing a parcel to the next town over. It did not arrive for 10 days. It had been sent to a sorting center all the way out in Missouri!

I could have driven it to its intended destination in less than 20 minutes.

But if that's my one great horror story, I'd say the USPS is doing a pretty fine job lately.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 01, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
David, you're right, the service of USPS and the likes is fine. Absolutely no need to over insure is what I am saying, lets do us all a favour and stop all of our friends on here paying unnecessary taxes when there is no need whatsoever!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC