8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My Fading Digital Prints

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Fading Digital Prints
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 12, 2014 03:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through some photos today that I took about 8 years ago with a digital camera, and then printed them out on HP Premium Plus Photo Paper. Guess what, they have all turned pink!!!!! [Eek!]
So does that mean that all my digital prints over the past 8 years will suffer a similar fate? And does that mean that digital photos are useless for archiving family photos for future generations?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2014 11:48 AM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is indeed a worry Paul. I assume you are talking about prints made on a home printer rather than professionally made. Did you use original Manufacturers ink, or compatibles? Either way, it doesn't bode well for the future, and has to go in the same category as all those Cds/Dvds we were told would be indestructible and last for ever. I have photos at home from my Father's army days during WW2, and some from well before that. I doubt any of my digital efforts will be in existence in fifty years time, I hope I'm wrong.

Kenneth Horan
Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Kenneth Horan   Email Kenneth Horan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, When using an ink jet printer be sure to use archival (non-fade) water proof inks and print on archival paper. This will provide longer term preservation of your digital photo print-outs. However this is the expensive route. The best solution is to have a photo lab make traditional photo-chemical prints on archival paper from your digital files.

--------------------
Ken Horan

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 13, 2014 10:18 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, few things are manufactured to last as long as possible, nowadays.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 14, 2014 11:24 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear, Paul. Do you have them backed up digitally in some form so that you can re-print them with, as stated above, low fade inks?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2014 04:13 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, on the one hand, I hoped you were being humorous and ironic. One is used to hearing of old celluloid going pink, but anything digital? Nah! Never happen! ;-)

But of course as others have pointed out, anything printed on paper, even archival photo paper, is only as good as the ink that was used.

That being said, might I recommend you download free Google Picasa software? I have scanned old, faded photos into my computer, opened them in Picasa, and hit the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. And presto! Many times, blues and greens magically return. In fact, the results in some cases have been astonishing and borderline miraculous. I absolutely swear by Picasa as a simple, simple, simple photo manipulation software that produces good results for the average or casual user.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other point to raise is have they been on display and has the sun been shining on them. The UV can damage most pigments but often the red fades first. If stored covered acid from other papers can affect the image, store in archive quality sleeves.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 18, 2014 01:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When digital cameras were intoduced, one of the advantages that they stated was that you would no longer pay for the process of 35 mm film. I would be interested to know how it woks in other countries as in Belgium you still have to pay an extra amount (of course they changed the name of it and they don't call it process costs anymore but somthing you could translate to English by "handling costs") when you print pictures.

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have printed covers for my films and dvd and they fade. This is using both Epsom or Canon inks and the compatibles inks on photo paper.

Don't think my local chemist where they still develop 35mm film, but here's the nasty bit they are printed on a printer and thus are not photographs any more.

Also the digitally restored films are put onto harddisks if they don't keep moving them on to new disks they too will become unplayable.

When you look at things now its all short term.

Fifty years will be pushing it. I can't watch my BETAMAX tapes now and some of the laserdiscs are also becoming unplayable.

Let's hope real film comes back.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC