8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Of Osi, platters, planks, and trays (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Of Osi, platters, planks, and trays
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2014 02:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not you always agree with Osi, there is no denying, for better or worse, that he can generate a tremendous amount of forum postings. Look at the numbers on the other two forums, and you will see just how much traffic he is responsible for. In fact I think Osi may be the 'resident topic' on one of the other forums! [Big Grin]

[ July 14, 2014, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2014 07:26 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that some members of the forum he moderates could not accept his alleged "penny pinching" ways, and he closed the topic to avoid further negative discussion. The other forum where this topic is also discussed does not censor or delete the responses he himself asked for on his own forum, and as to his YouTube posting where he also asked for donations to his PayPal account as well as comments... well, it beggars belief. If you ask for peoples comments and they don't agree with you it seems they just close the topic and stop all discussion on his forum.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2014 07:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my intent here was just to make an observation, not to open this whole thing up again on Doug's forum, which I hope I have not done.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, might as well make a quick comment on here ... [Smile]

As to closing the post on the other forum (one of the other forums), I just felt that it had run it's course, nothing more than that. Most often, given time, series of posts just go off in directions never intended. It's kind of like that game of "telephone" that some folks played when they were kids, (many different countries have different names for it, but "telephone' is what I knew it as.

"Telephone" is when you get a bunch of kids in a circle. One child states some simple statement, such as "My red wagon was carrying my rock collection and broke a wheel, so I had to carry my wagon and ditch my rock collection."

... Now, that sentence goes down the line of children until it gets back around to the one who started the thing, and the sentence rarely ever sounds anything like what the first person started with.

I must confess, however, to being a little naughty. Actually, I should have mentioned this on the other forum, but thought of mentioning it only on the walk home.

Some may ask ...

"OSI, why put yourself out there for potential harm? Don't you know that there are some that would just LOVE to jump on some-thing like this and further degrade you in public opinion?"

Well sure. I think some live under the mis-guided conception that my ego is totally surrounded and thrives on what people think of me, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Heck, if I let go of the internet this very day and never posted again anywhere, I'd be just a happy and content in life as I am now.

Therefore, those who delight in they're little attacks on my every word, (you've got to admit, I, whether I ever really meant to or not, am probably the one person that folks just LOVE to dissect my every word, which I think is a complete waste of breathe. I'm not THAT bloody interesting!) ...

... if they live on the mis-conception of, "OOOOH! Goodie goodie! I'm going to bring down the OZ! Now they'll know him as the scumbag I've always known him to be! BOOHOO-AH-HAHAHAHA!"

... they're just wasting they're time as I've really never given a rip what folks thought of me. Very independent in that regard.

So now ... back to the "Pennie-gate" (hey! I like that!)

I did make that video just to put forth the whole thing, but originally, only in the you-tube and facebook arena. Then, I had a little devious thought ...

How about having fun with those folks who are salvating at any chance to degrade me in the public eye? Let's see how far the comments go and how far some folks take. Lets see how seriously some folks take it, (some "folks" specifically) ...

Well, my little practical joke did just what I had meant it to. I truly laughed my "arse" off at some comments I have seen all over the place, (my wife just shook her head at some of it). I actually fell off my chair laughing about it and therefore hurt my hip for a few days. That will serve me right for starting up something so ridiculously trivial.

However, I also thought that there might actually be people who were certainly concerned with the situation and my messing with folks might actually be taken for "mean-spirited-ness". Well, towards certain folks, most definitely.

But, as Paul Adsett stated elsewhere, he's gotten a good laugh out of it. I've certainly had a good laugh out of it, (plus a little pain), and no real harm done that I can think of it, especially since I'm the brunt of it, (when actually, a few others were me target!).

So, practical joke done. The incident certainly happened, the 16 cents were a reality, (that in and of itself was ridiculous to begin with), I just used it as an opportunity to reveal just how far some will go in being naughty towards me ...

If only I cared about they're naughtiness, then perhaps there would have been some injury towards me, but being the "enemy of all that's holy", I just found the comments of some folks, well, a hell of a good laugh!

Oh well, I will be the first to admit that I can be a little jerk sometimes.

Now ... back to film!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lets see how seriously some folks take it, (some "folks" specifically) ...

So, you didn't actually take that money from the store?

quote:
I truly laughed my "arse" off at some comments I have seen all over the place, (my wife just shook her head at some of it). I actually fell off my chair laughing about it and therefore hurt my hip for a few days. That will serve me right for starting up something so ridiculously trivial.
I'm not sure I understand. So, you took the money from the store and when people called that stealing, you found it hilarious?

quote:
...and the sentence rarely ever sounds anything like what the first person started with.
How, exactly, does this apply to your penny tray issue? You raised the issue on the other forum and all the other posts were in reaction to this, nothing more. Nobody changed anything.

I'm sorry, Osi, but every post you make is just digging the hole deeper. Wake up, kid. You're just not gettin' it. The "cored" prints, the Elmo reels, the "platter thing", the penny tray... these are all cumulative.
This is not at all about whether or not you care what people think of you. This is about your standing in the hobby, which is why we're all here on these forums.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 01:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Platters, planks, and trays......sorry I don't find any of it funny,.... weird yes...funny NO. [Roll Eyes]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 15, 2014 01:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some guy I don't particularly know, in a place I've never been, over a thousand miles away, pockets 16 cents at a store I've never heard of, gets chewed out and makes a YouTube video about it and this becomes an international event.

-You just gotta love the internet!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah!
[Smile]
When you mention it like that, Steve, it is rather funny. But, we are only a very minute international community.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 15, 2014 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't really going for "funny" here.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2014 03:52 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OSI..."Heck, if I let go of the internet this very day and never posted again anywhere, I'd be just a happy and content in life as I am now."

So would a lot of other people.

Bill [Smile]

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2014 04:09 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your 'practical joke' and earlier controversies led to the end of a long-standing friendship between two thoroughly decent men. Sorry, but that's nothing to laugh about.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you see nothing amusing in Osi's penny plate tale, and I am in no way condemning those who don't, Dan Lail has penned an absolutely brilliant and hilarious 'Penny Lane' parody on his forum, which is a must read, even if you only visit Dan this one time. Even Osi might enjoy it, and fall off his chair again. [Big Grin]
Well done Dan!
For now though, I am OSIEDOUT! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 04:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internet is amazing place and has now become an important part of life in the way we do business, "fixing our house" employment "changes to pick ups or school runs etc" catching up on old friends and so on.

Plus
There is some very interesting you-tube and Vimeo videos to watch.

I even have got the hang of texting [Big Grin] ...well almost....spelling still lousy though [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 10:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why we have to move that trouble topic to this lovely forum? Let them discuss it in their respective forums.

This topic will only create harm to this forum with 4g members. Those two forums are only hundreds members. In fact one forum has only tens member actively posting.

So can moderator close this topic.

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 16, 2014 12:41 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the forums deserve to have supporters and as many members as possible.

Many of the comments here seem to pertain to a topic (or topics) that are posted on other sites. I would think they'd be most appreciated as additions to those threads.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 16, 2014 07:28 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Winbert, and apologize to Doug for starting this thread over here. Thankfully though, the topic seems to have finally run its course on all three forums.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 16, 2014 08:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Paul [Wink]

I just want to remind us the forum's policy #5:

quote:
RULE #5: Cross-posting within the forum or to other places on the web.

Do not cross-post identical questions or topics on other website forums/newsgroups or between different sections of the Film-Tech Forum. If you have a question, ask it here or ask it elsewhere, but only ask it one time. If someone is a member of the same two forums in which you asked your question, it becomes confusing to readers as they try to follow the discussion. Please create your topic in the place where it will generate the most beneficial responses. Only emergencies will be excepted from this rule, with the definition of "emergency" to be at the sole discretion of the Administrator and Moderators.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2014 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, folks, it was just me giving back like I had been given for months now, (sheesh, literally, almost, since the beginning of the year).

My words have been twisted, my posts have been edited and, at times, had words either added or deleted so that some folks could "make they're point" ... (yes, I noticed that) ... or completely taking other sentences and such out of context with what was originally stated ...

My name has been maligned many times over, and while everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course, my only real disappointment with it all is when some folks wanted to outright lie about me in the public forum ...

So, this whole "coin-gate" was my way of "manipulating the manipulators".

Yep, I knew ahead of time that some would call me thief, (un-true statement, for all that truly know me and my character, know my good form ... All others are insignificant, since they revel in un-truth) ...

... but then, whether it was "coin-gate" or any other subject, they would have called me a thief, liar, ect as that was their goal all along ...

However, addressing Mal's statement, if a long-standing friendship has ended due to any of my "mis-adventures" of the last six months and the reactions of people to said "mis-adventures" ...

... if a friendship has ended, whichever one it is, it ended due to the actions of either one or the other party, not I. Perhaps something "un-savory" was found in the character of one or the other that was not known beforehand by one or the other party and in that case, I most certainly did one or the other a favor as that "un-savory" nature might have come back to bite one or the other in the arse in the future. I saved someone a bite in the arse in the future. Not too shabby.

I've never worried about my "image" or identity before people, as, on any given day, some will smile to your face, and then, as stated in "The Outlaw Josey Wales ...

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining "

(there, I wanted get some quote from films in here!)

I've never put much stock in the praise or accolades of others, nor have I measured my self worth based upon what the prevailing winds of opinion are concerning me, as they are as shifting as the wind, especially in this modern internet age.

Don't get me wrong folks, I like nearly every person I have ever met on the forums, I'd say a good 99 percent and , as stated earlier, the others are unimportant. It is wise not to waste time on those who will be antagonistic. You will never win they're affections and you shouldn't waste time doing so. Lavish your time on the other 99 per cent. That's just my advice.

I enjoy the posts on here, I enjoy learning from the collective knowledge found here, (despite my very high numbers on here, I'm certainly not a "film-god"), and I enjoy giving back with the collected info I have learned over time.

... but I also take, with a grain a salt, all praise or "nice-ities" delivered on any number of forums, as well as any criticism, as I believe, any intelligent person should do.

Long Live Super 8!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made some comments on the Penny tray but it wasn't a personal attack,i was saying it how i saw it and agreed with some on the theft aspect,Osi you seem to have other issues with some regarding films you've sold for someone and the reels/cores thread,I just don't get why you would just load something and get it fired by others,seems odd to me,your past dealings won't change the opinion of others so why make it worse? Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 16, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, this whole "coin-gate" was my way of "manipulating the manipulators".
[Big Grin]

You have "manipulated" nobody, kid.

quote:
My words have been twisted, my posts have been edited and, at times, had words either added or deleted so that some folks could "make they're point" ... (yes, I noticed that) ... or completely taking other sentences and such out of context with what was originally stated ...
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, can you give an example of this? A specific, contextually pertinent example, and not just a generalisation.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, for all the years I have been reading your posts on this forum, I have been desperate to tell you this:

"They're" is the contraction of "they are" it is inappropriate therefore to use it in place of the possessive "their", as in:

Their films, their projectors and their pennies in the penny tray.

Right, glad I go that off my chest. As you were.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 16, 2014 02:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mic,

Hear on the 8mm Forum their is know reason fore they're two bee sew critical!

[Wink]

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2014 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Smile] [Big Grin] [Razz]

[Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC