8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I like Drive-Ins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I like Drive-Ins
Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2014 06:27 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several in St. Louis where I grew up. The 66 Drive-In on Watson Road (Route 66 as it went through Crestwood, Missouri into St. Louis) and Ronnies 66 Drive-In were the ones close by. As kids we could set up our telescope in the backyard and take turns watching the movies at Ronnies about a mile away. These were in silent and mono-vision mode of course, peering through the Poplar trees that the drive-in planted, we presumed, to thwart such activity.
In Dalhart, Texas, where my grandparents lived, there was the El Rancho Drive-In which had an animated neon sign out front depicting a cowboy throwing a lasso around a heifer. My older sister tells the tale of once visiting when she was 7 and grandpa taking her in the old Ford pickup to the El Rancho to see Alfred Hithcock's Vertigo. I still imagine my sister, in pigtails and propped up on the front seat, her and Emory munching on popcorn as Kim Novak plunges to her death in the film's climax. Ha, my grandmother was not amused when she later asked my sister about the moving picture show they went to. "Emory, how could you take her to see such a movie?" My sister loved it and it is one of her favorite stories about Grandpa Emory. Years later, I would see such films as Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show at the El Rancho. Anyway, all gone now those Drive-Ins. But great memories.

|  IP: Logged

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2014 05:29 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 66 Drive-In St. Louis, MO
 -
The El Rancho Drive-In Dalhart, Texas (funny, until I dug up this photo in my storage I always thought there was some cattle in there somewhere.
 -
Aerial view of the El Rancho Drive-In. You can spot the concession stand in the middle of the lot. The main road pictured is Highway 87, headed to Amarillo, Texas (90 miles to the southeast).
 -
Rare 10" snow on May 2, 1978
 -
1993 -Last days of the "66" Park In Theatre - St. Louis, MO
 -

-

Those were the days. - Clay

[ July 20, 2014, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Clay Smith ]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 20, 2014 08:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clay,

The cattle are probably at the concession stand. Great pictures!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 20, 2014 09:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those drive-ins are boring compared to the AUTOSCOPE!

Seriously, click here for amazing pictures .

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2014 07:53 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is seriously crazy. Must have been a nightmare to set up!

Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC