8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Question about DLP Projector S-Video Cable (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about DLP Projector S-Video Cable
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
Thank you for your reply.
All there is on the back of the projector is an S-Video which is what I'm using now. 1 yellow RCA jack for Video & for audio in & audio out 3.5mm jacks. There are also 3 pin type computer jacks & one of them is blue. And that's it nothing else anywhere on this unit. It looks like I will have to use either the S-Video or the one yellow RCA Jack for video.

I may just have to invest in another DLP Projector that has HDMI connection.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This page
http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-tdp-xp2u-dlp-projector/specs/
shows that it does not have Component Video inputs.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Martin,
Thanks for researching this from me. So which input should I use then for the best results the S-Video or the one RCA Video jack?

Thnaks,
Roger

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not to worry; just enjoy your DVDs on the projector for now.

But stick to the S-Video input as it is much better than the yellow composite input; basically it carries the luma (black & white part of the image) and chroma (the colour part) separately which results in much better image quality than composite.

Enjoy!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Rob will do and thank you very much for all your help on the subject.

All The Best!
Roger [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger the progression of picture quality from worst to best is as follows:

RCA cOMPOSITE CONNECTOR (yELLOW). Don't use at all, alright for VHS Tapes.

S-Video Connector. SD connector, fine for DVD

Component connector 3- RCA Connectors RED, GREEN, BLUE. used for 720P HD and 1080i HD

HDMI CONNECTOR, must be used for 1080p HD (Blue Ray)

The projector is connected up for video only. The red and black AUDIO should go directly from the player to your stereo amplifier.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the clarification and I have one question for you? I just purchased a Blu Ray Player with a HDMI input and it also has the S-Video input. My projector does not have the HDMI input only the S-Video input which is what I'm using now. So if I play a blue ray disc is it going to be any better in picture quality than a regular DVD disc? No use wasting my money on renting Blue Ray or purchasing Blue Ray if no difference.
Thanks again,
Roger

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 04:19 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resolution wise, no difference.

But you may find that bluray versions have had more recent remastering than older DVD versions of the same movie, so will look better for that reason.

And you will be future proofing for when you do go fully HD!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 04:24 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Rob thanks!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, my first projector was a Panasonic AE700, which is a 720p projector. I used it for years with DVD'S and was very happy with it. Then a few years ago I went and purchased a Panasonic Blu Ray player and connected it up with an S Video connector. Even though the projector could only go to 720p, I noticed a big difference in picture quality over the standard definition DVD.
Then when I purchased my present Panny AE4000 1080p projector I got an even bigger jump in picture quality. So I think you may well see a significantly better picture with Blu rAY, even though your projector does not go up to 1080p.
I would second what Rob has said about recommending that you buy blu ray discs of titles you want to own. I think that in very short order you will probably be using full 1080p equipment.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
I will probably invest in a better projector someday down the road that will accommodate HDMI but for now this being my very first projector it will be more that sufficient and meet my needs.

I just bought a Panasonic blue ray off ebay that brad recommended model DMP-BD30K so I'm anxious to try a Blu Ray to see any difference.

Thanks,
Roger

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, my advice is to stick with your current projector until the lamp gives out. That will be the time to purchase a new one as from my experience it is not worth purchasing a new lamp. New projectors will be full high definition, or even 4G, 3D, and possibly with LED lighting and at decereasingly lower prices. You will probably find the cost of a replacement lamp for your Toshiba just not bothering with. Just another example of the "throw away " society we live in!. Icidentally the LCD machines have advanced tremendously in the last couple of years particularly with regard to the contrast specs. Ken Finch.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 10, 2014 03:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Ken regarding lamp replacement. Ten years ago I purchased a Panny AE400, and when the time came to replace the lamp 3 years ago (It was still working, just dim at 4,000hours) I decided to spring for a new 1080p projector, because it was just not worth sinking $400.00 into a new lamp for that projector when picture quality was so much improved on the current LCD projectors.
The current generation of HD LCD projectors are at least as good as the DLP projectors.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2014 10:44 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK guys thanks for your input good to know!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC