8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Robin Williams found dead...suicide?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robin Williams found dead...suicide?
Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2014 06:47 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad & shocking.... RIP...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28749702#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

--------------------
Yannis

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2014 06:57 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no words, just completely stunned. I remember when I watched "Mrs Doubtfire" for the first time, I immediately took a liking to that crazy fella, and now he's gone [Frown]

RIP.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2014 07:17 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news and a loss to the entertainment industry.
He was one of my favorite actors and only just screened Aladdin a few days ago which is one of my favorite films he did.
We are losing to many Hollywood greats these days.
RIP funny man

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2014 08:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comic genius's like Robin Williams are sometimes the saddest people in the world. I remember the great Tony Hancock ( Hancock's half hour) on radio in the UK in the 1960's. He took his own life at the very peak of his career.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2014 11:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tragic. Very sad.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 11, 2014 11:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad...I always enjoyed watching him in all the movies he made.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 12, 2014 12:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dead Poets Society has to be on the list of the good films this actor leaves us. A suicide is always a tragedy for those who are closed to the one who chooses to leave this way.

--------------------
Dominique

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2014 02:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Respectfully, I shall watch one of his films this evening.

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2014 03:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so so sad he will be missed by all

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2014 04:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Genius.. this is such tragic news, especially in the knowledge he felt the need to take his own life when idolized by so many.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 12, 2014 06:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One hour photo, one of the best films ever. [Frown]
We were only saying last week how mork and mindy never seems to be shown on TV anymore.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 12, 2014 09:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A poignant comment he made in his 2009 film "Worlds Greatest Dad":-
"Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems".

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 12, 2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've dealt with severe depression in the past, and it's very hard to come out of and seems to haunt you your whole life.

Some folks would say, "Get over yourself" (as most people assume that depression is an over-riding concentration upon ones-self, in other words, overly self-centered), but the problem with severe depression is that people can be there to actually help the person, but they can be so deep into depression that it can become nearly impossible to truly rise up out of it.

From what I have been hearing on the news, Mr Williams did have the potential help of some forms of drugs to help control his depression, but those same drugs can interfere with the creative side of the brain and Mr. Williams didn't want that. I can understand that.

I was on some "depression drugs" some years ago and I felt like I was in a "fog' most of the time and during the time I was on the drug, I noted, looking back, that I created literally nothing during that period and I just lived, period, but not really lived.

So sorry to see such a creative comedic genius leave us in such a tragic way. Goodbye ... Mrs. Doubtfire!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2014 04:50 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always sad though to hear sad news like this.

Although not a big fan of his films, I did find some were very watchable. I have Aladdin from Disney/Derann I feel this was perfect for him. Also Night at the Museum was quite good. He also looked good as Popeye.

Like Osi says depression is not really understood. I was severely depressed a number of years ago. On all sorts of pills felt like a zombie most of the time, drink was also a problem. It all stemmed from work and physiologically bullying by managers. I lost my job, but looking back I took a new direction and I do feel better but still have moments.

I hope he has found peace. And my sadness and heartache to his family.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2014 02:10 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now the news that he had Parkinson's and another piece saying that finding out you are suffering from that increases depression. I hope this will help other sufferers get the right treatment to prevent more cases like this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC