8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Leonard Maltin Film Guide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leonard Maltin Film Guide
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2014 05:02 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to report that Leonard Maltin posted on Facebook this morning that he will no longer continue to publish updates on his wonderful film guide book. I really enjoy using his book for a reference and have found it to be more reliable than the IMDB in some cases.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2014 12:03 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a book which few people bought as each new issue came out. I still refer constantly to my 1995 dog-eared copy which I've never considered replacing.
It was good while it lasted, but few will now mourn its passing.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 21, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Maltin has come to the conclusion that so many others have perhaps come to ...

Nothing new coming out these days is worth reviewing ... period!

[Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2014 03:05 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have his 2000 edition, but prefer the ones that Halliwell used to produce. Really Osi! you should see more British and europian movies. We have not forgotten how to make "proper" movies with real people in them. I would agree that there is far too much CGI comic book junk coming out of Hollywood these days. Ken Finch.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2014 03:28 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Ken I have always preferred the Halliwell Film Guides, though not so much the later ones produced after Halliwell died. Leonard Maltin's guides had many more films with less details but were great for looking up B westerns and 30s or 40s quickies. Trouble was we in the UK had no chance of seeing them as they were probably never released here or sold to TV.

--------------------
Paul.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2014 09:43 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Radio Times guide is quite comprehensive. As well as film reviews, there are comprehensive alphabetical lists of directors and actors listing their achievements.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 27, 2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer this guide, the "Video Hound" ...

http://www.amazon.com/VideoHounds-Golden-Movie-R etriever-2014/dp/141448125X/ref=pd_sim_b_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1S0HHCCVFPC8TXBPQ5V9

You can cross reference actors, films genres ect with this thing. Sure, it's big and bulky, but much more informative and helpful in general. That, and it lists far more films, including many of the very low budget films and well as a lot of European films that none of the other film books cover.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Maltin's reviews will continue on the internet. I much rather have the option of a handheld book as opposed to doing everything on a computer.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC