8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Showtime!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Showtime!
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 01, 2014 05:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to play theater organ music, accompanied by a movie themed powerpoint slide show, as a prelude to my film shows. The best organist I have heard by far, is Phil Kelsall who is the resident organist at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom Wurlitzer. Phil Plays the organ in the bouncy 'Blackpool Style' pioneered by Reg Dixon, and his arrangements are fantastic. I highly recommend his CD's and DVD's, and you can find clips of Phil on YouTube.

http://www.philkelsall.co.uk/

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 01, 2014 05:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
He is indeed brilliant Paul! I have witnessed his performances many times courtesy of my Mum & Dad over the years. Blackpool ballroom just has to be the very best in the country. Simply beautiful and can be seen at it's very best in "Strictly Come Dancing" a popular series on British television.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 01, 2014 09:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I hope Phil is playing at Blackpool the next time I am in the UK. I would certainly make the drive up north to see him in person playing in that ballroom. As you say, the man is just a brilliant musician, undoubtedly the best theater organist in the world today.
During my life as a movie buff, I have 'aquired' many hero's, people that I have immense regard and respect for their unique life achievement. Among them, Walt Disney, John Wayne, Gene Autry, Fred Astaire, Debbie Reynolds, Jackie Gleason, Johnny Carson, Ed Sullivan, Tony Bennett. Phil is the latest addition to my 'hero' list. He has been playing over 40 years at the Blackpool Ballroom and richly deserves the MBE that he recently received from the Queen.
Now, if only David Guest could get Phil to put on a special show of movie music for his conventioneers.............. [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 02, 2014 04:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure maybe he could, but we may need deep pockets to get him there!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 02, 2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I was thinking that maybe he would be willing to play a special movie selection at the tower ballroom. Obviously it would be impossible to do it at the Hilton convention venue.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 02, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes of course Paul. I was thinking that he could play at the Hilton but just use a regular keyboard or piano. I suppose that would defeat the object though of course.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC