8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Avast me hearties!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avast me hearties!
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2014 09:41 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What films will you be showing for International Talk Like a Pirate Day?

I don't own any pirate related features on 16mm but I do have a few short subjects on Super 8 for this special and most anticipated celebration.

"Shiver Me Timbers" and "Mamas Little Pirate" both Our Gang comedies from Blackhawk.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually any film is OK here as long as it's rated "ARRRRRRR!!!"

There is a big movie tie-in here: Our stereotype of what a pirate sounds like and looks like came to us on the silver screen, a lot like what cowboys and indians look like too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 17, 2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And creatures, monsters, ghosts, spirits etc. [Eek!]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2014 11:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True,

-and when people could only read the book, they knew that "Frankenstein" was the Doctor, not the Monster!

You really have to have a lot of sympathy for a typical movie pirate. I mean, you have this nasty steel hook at the end of your arm, and then your face itches while you are asleep....

(Maybe that's why they have eye patches!)

Could they ever get through security at the airport?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 17, 2014 11:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"as long as it's rated "ARRRRRRR!!!"

How I do love silly jokes! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
(Willie Wonka)

I also can't imagine a movie Pirate being a very effective manager if he was ever promoted to Captain.

-here you are, with a pegleg on bare wooden decks.

Do you really think you will ever catch anybody goofing off?

-they'll hear you coming a hundred feet away!

Then you walk up to a ladder...

Now what??!!!

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "Treasure Island" had more to do with pirate stereo types than any one movie.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that before.

Shouldn't a guy that has a parrot on his shoulder all the time also have a white streak down his back?

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. If you pour a little bit of "grog" on the white streak it will take the stain right out.

Grog is good for what ails you - headaches, backaches, forgetting old girlfriends, being stuck out at sea with a bunch of ugly pirates, and, of course, removing parrot dung.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 17, 2014 11:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All kids like to be pirates [Smile] ..even some adults as well [Wink] ...anyway my son Steven when he was young was right into pirates, now his son in this photo is doing just the same thing.
 -

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2014 01:10 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks great that picture Graham. To slightly change a film title could it be Projection Heaven.

How to stop the pegleg captain catching you? Knock the knot holes out of the planks.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 18, 2014 01:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graha...Love the mustache and goatee [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2014 08:05 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And remember that many of us 8mm and 16mm collectors own "pirated" prints. Someone should run a print of Captain Celluloid and the Film Pirates for that special day.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 08:57 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long John Silver is such a more colorful pirate name than dupe.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 19, 2014 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an experiment I wrote an entire e-mail to my wife in Pirate-ese this morning.

Her response made absolutely no mention of it!

Either she knows about International Talk Like a Pirate Day or on an average day I must be really, really weird!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 19, 2014 02:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She thought it was very...creative!

Yep!...weird! [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC