8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Keeping the reel alive (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Keeping the reel alive
Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 02:52 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks
Came across this advert,I'm hoping to be able to go.This is on in Woolton Liverpool,It's a fantastic small independent cinema,if anyone needs any more info you can ring the cinema.Tickets are £3.00 each from the cinema.

-

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 03:07 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If I am off work, I would like to attend that show Tommy. Two great films that are both out on Super 8mm, but sadly I do not have either. I am sure it will be a fabulous show!

[ October 01, 2014, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 03:17 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew
I've just spoken to them and they recommend to book the tickets online,

http://www.wooltonpicturehouse.com/

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 04:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Tommy [Wink]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the show on film or video?

--------------------
Maurice

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 05:48 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
I'm not sure,I will try to find out

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 06:56 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last line on this page is ominous as it does not mention the old machines at all.
http://www.wooltonpicturehouse.com/cinema-history/4545724273

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 07:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right Martin, by the sounds of things it appears highly probable that it will be shown digitally sadly [Frown]

It will be nice if Tommy can confirm though one way or another.

--------------------

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 07:36 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry boys,I have just come off the phone to the cinema,it seems that it will be screened in digital.

These are the people putting the event on,interesting listening to the old projectionists

http://picturepalace.org/events/

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am lucky to have the full length S8 Derann print of The Magic Box. It is a very good quality print, and is probably the most prized film in my collection.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000071

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad that old projectionists will be present at a show which will be digitally projected. Count me out.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 11:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree Maurice. Seems pointless to me showing nostalgic film specifically cinema related as it was, if you are using modern up to date equipment to present it on sadly.

That is a rare one I believe on Super 8 Paul, My friend has a full length print of The Magic Box also, but he waited a very long time to find it I believe.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think that print is extremely rare Andrew. I never see it come up for sale, so I suspect that Derann only struck a handful of prints.
I love the film, it is so Victorian, and the shots of the old wood and brass projectors are wonderful. Best scene of course, is the one with Olivier as the astonished policeman seeing motion pictures for the first time, projected on a bed sheet.
Some people question how factual the film really is, and whether Friese-Greene really could lay claim to inventing cinematography.
My belief is that the Lumiere brothers in France invented cinema projection as we know it. Certainly Thomas Edison initially thought that hand cranked viewing machines (mutoscope parlours) was the way to go, and had no interest in developing projectors until he saw what the Lumiere's had achieved. Despite that, Edisons legacy in the USA, as displayed at his museum home in Fort Myers Florida, includes the invention of motion pictures.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I agree that it's disappointing to project in digital,I for one wouldn't deny the old boys their 15 minutes.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a deceitful advertising.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 04:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That may be a little strong to some Dominique in calling it deceitful, however I tend to agree with you in that whoever would be interested in watching these two nostalgic historic cinema masterpieces, would surely expect them to be projected on celluloid and certainly not digitally.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For us it's the message and the medium, for many people it's just the message.

It's the reason that what we do is mind boggling to so many people: it just seems to be layers of complexity and difficulty to wind up with the same result.

Do you really need to find a Victrola to listen to Enrico Caruso when you can find him on CD?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep, but very true Steve!

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As if vintage radio collectors would say "let's all gather around this DAB radio". I think not!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2014 05:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-but you see I'm not really talking about us, just most everyone else.

I went to a Drive-In theater this summer that was digital, yet 35mm the last time I went there.

I still enjoyed the movie, yet would have preferred 35mm if that was a choice.

What I'm saying is that I may have been the only one there that night that knew or cared what put the picture on the screen.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We are dying breed Steve, that's for sure!! Let's hope we all live a while longer yet, keep the faith Steve and Simon by the sound of it!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 05:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you're right in a general speaking but what I see when film is concerned is that film events are almost always advertised with cinema related items (filmstock, projector...), not with digital projectors or even digital cameras. You don't see that so often with music (to come back to your example). If they were so proud of their digital and thought that film is a thing of the past, wouldn't they put digital on the light ?

--------------------
Dominique

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 06:55 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree Steve. It's like I've always said -- know how to tell a film collector out of a crowd? The film collector is the one watching the projector instead of the movie!

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 07:17 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to believe that there are kids scattered about the globe who will discover an old projector and film, tinker with it, light the thing up and discover "Wow".
Hope so anyway.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2014 07:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed the film theme decoration around video presentation. AS a matter of fact old projectors are very popular decoration for "media rooms".

I shot this picture at a local store last week. I think it says it all:

-

What would digital décor look like anyway?

Little black boxes?
Silver circles with a hole in the middle?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC