8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cape May Film Fest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cape May Film Fest
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 06:08 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a little item; Cape May Film Festival took place Oct 17-19 at Borough Hall at 723 Broadway, West Cape May (Dates coincided with ours) - The program had an opening reception with Denny Somach hosting a Beatles' film, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" - The program continued with The Best NJ Short Films, Films from the Black Maria Film Festival and Films from the Cape May Film Society Summer Camp - Sunday night had Spooky Comic Silents with live organ music, presented by East Lynne Theatre Company at the First Presbyterian Church at the Cape - We should connect with them, there's that theatre downtown where Dino showed those glorious 9.5 prints - I feel we can expand our horizon in both presentation and communication - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is west cape may?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cape May is on a point, so West Cape May should be at the bottom of Delaware Bay.

-but seriously, folks...

It is a neighborhood of Cape May itself, just a few miles further south than Wildwood.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the city proper, travel to the outskirts, there'll be signs

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 10:14 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about lack of communication; how on earth couldn't we know about this somehow, right in our "own neighborhood"??
We must get in touch with these folks.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 21, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in touch with the Cape May Film Society. Unfortunately they are 100% digital, strictly DVD screenings. This doesn't preclude some sort of shared presentation in the future. I'll let you know how things progress.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 11:12 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

A pity about all digital, but maybe they'd like to come visit and see "the real thing" next spring.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How dare they use the word "Film" in their title.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2014 02:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There really isn't an English word for what this is.

For example an audio performance is a separate thing from the medium it's on. You listen to "music" or "a speech" whether it's live or on a record or a tape, CD or whatever.

You can go see "A play", but as soon as it's squeezed through a lens it becomes a "movie" or "a film".

"Did hear his new song?"
"Yes, I just got the CD."

Vs.

"Did you see the play?"
"No, I saw the movie."

It's really closer to being a "video", but that means something much shorter than a feature film. This is why 50 foot reels of Super-8 get tagged as "videos" so much. If you want to nitpick: "video" is classically an analog technology, and this isn't that either.

What's really needed is some new word for a digitally produced motion picture, but since most people don't know or care that there is a difference, that's not happening!

What gets me sometimes is somebody "restoring" a hundred year old cinema and installing digital projection. It's like finding out the organ in an ancient cathedral is really a synthesizer!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 03:03 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How dare they use the word "Film" in their title.
Easy...

... How about renaming it "Cape May IT IS NOT Film Festival. It's All Digital" [Confused]

Jon

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 04:57 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose if it is taken off computer hard drives they could argue that there is a "Film" of magnetic material that the video (and audio) is recorded on, but that is stretching things a long way. :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC