8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New to 8mm!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to 8mm!
Lindsey Bartley
Junior

- posted October 31, 2014 12:15 AM      Profile for Lindsey Bartley   Email Lindsey Bartley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!
I'm new here and new to 8mm. For 12 years, I worked as a projectionist with 35mm in a small movie theatre. I really miss working with film, so I thought it might be fun to get into 8mm! Any suggestions on what type of projector I should look into or ones I should avoid? I've been perusing ebay and craigslist, but I'm not sure where to start! Any guidance or advice would be wonderful.
Thanks so much!
Lindsey

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 12:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Lindsey ! Your choice will depend on what kind of film you wish to project. First, are you aware that there are two kind of 8 mm films ? The regular (also called standard) 8 and the super (also called single) 8 ? You cannot run a regular 8 film on a super 8 projector and vice versa but you can get a dual gauge projector. Then, will you project silent or sound films ? Are you ready to start with an expensive projector ? Such considerations would help members of this forum to advise you.

--------------------
Dominique

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 12:54 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Lindsey !

Lindsey Bartley
Junior

- posted October 31, 2014 01:49 AM      Profile for Lindsey Bartley   Email Lindsey Bartley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for having me! [Smile]
Yes, I was aware of that much. I'm not looking to spend too much money on the projector right now, less than $100 for sure. Cheap but working and a decent quality is what I want. Ideally, it would be nice to have a dual so that I have more options. It would be cool to have sound, but it's not a necessity for me. I'm not entirely sure how to tell what is what and most of the people on craigslist I've been in touch with are not really familiar with what they're selling.
For instance, I have contacted this person regarding this one http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pho/4737635705.html
and I have been looking into buying a print of "The Bride of Frankenstein" on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHRIEK-VINTAGE-CASTLE-FILM-THE-BRIDE-OF-FRANKENSTEIN-SUPER-8MM-BLK-WHT-BOO-/261644283974?).
Thanks again!

--------------------
Lindsey

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 02:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find more information (almost always correct)on this site : http://super8data.com/ Click on the projector picture, then on the make and finally on the model.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 05:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsey

As your budget is tops at $100 I suggest you go for a Super 8 silent projector as a sound projector at this price would be over the top. The Bell & Howell which you mention is a dual gauge projector, it's made in Hong Kong and badged as a Bell & Howell, and as such I would not recommend it.

I attach a link to a nice Japanese Sankyo P-1500 on US eBay. They are a fine company and I have many of their projectors, both silent and sound. They can be heartily recommended.

Whereas both Regular 8 and Super 8 films are the same size as to width (i.e., 8mm) the Super 8 picture frame is much larger due to the redesigned perforations which allow this bigger picture over Regular 8.

You will also need some spare 400' spools, splicer, screen, and a rewind. The projector can rewind, but as an ex professional projectionist you will know the importance of checking film on a rewind.

http://www.ebay .com/itm/Sankyo-P-1500-Super-8-Silent-Film-Movie-Projector-Orig-box-and-manual-NR-/111498425004?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item19f5d2f2ac

--------------------
Maurice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 07:43 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lindsey and welcome make sure you read the descriptions carefully if they mention have not tried it with film I would avoid them.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I buy a projector I always try to find one complete it its original box, with instructions and other items. And, not forgetting its mains lead.
I find that these projectors may have had little use and have been well looked after, and in the case of magnetic sound projectors their sound heads have had little wear.
Many of these in the above condition have often been inherited by the previous owner's children who know little, and have no interest in the item, only as a quick financial fix via eBay.
It's something to consider.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Lindsay!

If I were you, I would start with ...

1. A good EUMIG projector! While many swear by the ELMO's, they are usually out of most peoples price ranges, while the EUMIG higher models are excellent projectors (I use them myself) and they tend to be, even with top models, fairly easy to come by on the pocketbook. Shoot for the 926 or better yet, the 938 range. These models are stereo.

2. Start your film collection with cheaper titles. The really big features like STAR WARS and such go for very high prices, but you can build an impressive collection of shorts or black and white features or comedies for at many times pennies on the dollar. Just peruse ebay on a constant rate ...

... and ask folks like myself and many others on this forum as to whether the film you desire is a good deal at the price asked or not, as we certainly wouldn't want a new collector scared off by potential folks wanting to cash in on a novices lack of experience and value expertise (hey, it DOES happen.)

Welcome welcome welcome!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 03:30 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lindsey,
Welcome from a newbie to the hobby. My projector is a super 8 model and while I'm trying to work the kinks out of it, I'm glad to have this format as I have been able to obtain titles at affordable prices. This format was introduced in the mid 1960's, so the films themselves are manufactured from more modern & durable/stable components. The guys and gals on here have been very helpful with advice and haven't given me a hard time with my dumb @$$ questions!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 03:44 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi's suggestions, whilst admirable, are reaching too high for Lindsey's budget.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 03, 2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"whilst", I haven't heard that word used in quite awhile, bravo!

If he buys even a cheap lil number of a projector, he may well get hooked ...

... and, well, once your an addict, you can always come up with the money to get your ever expanding "fix"! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lindsey Bartley
Junior

- posted November 03, 2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Lindsey Bartley   Email Lindsey Bartley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, everyone!

--------------------
Lindsey

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC