8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Bogie, the greatest cat that ever lived!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bogie, the greatest cat that ever lived!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 24, 2014 12:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you don't mind me sharing this, but I put this up on facebook, and if you are a cat lover, I hope you enjoy it.

" Dediacated to Bogie, the worlds greatest cat!

I don't know if I have ever posted about this before, but I got all emotional over a cat I used to own (or the cat owned me), by name of "Bogie".

I named him "Bogie" because, he had a meow that sounded like he had been chewing gravel for years and it really sounded exactly the way Humphrey Bogart would sound if he was to say "Meow", (probably in conjunction with looking at lovely Lauren bacall, no doubt!).

Bogie was a Siamese Chocolate point. I found him outside of a recording studio when I was doing my first album way back in 1992 or so. He must have been lost and he looked about "middle aged" for a Siamese. I petted him a little and when I saw that he was still outside when I was going home, I decided to take him home, (the recording studio was out in the middle of the desert with no homes anywhere near ... perhaps some louse dropped him off out there to get rid of him. I wouldn't put that past most fellow human beings).

Well, after about a year, Bogie started to go downhill, healthwise. I bought the best cat food I could find (those brands that were nutritionally balanced for aging or sick cats), but slowly but surely, Bogie got worse, so bad that he couldn't properly use the catbox anymore. Though I would hate to do it, I worried for days as to whether I should have Bogie put to sleep, as I hated to see him suufer as he was.

Then, out of nowhere, Bogie, had an excellent day. Where for months he hadn't wanted to cuddle or play, he suddenly came up, snuggled purred, played and did eberything he had done in his better days.

Then, after all of this, Bogie climbed down and went to the door, meowing to be let out (he hadn't done that in a long time as well), so I let Bogie out.

Bogie never returned.

At that time, I lived on the outskirts of Mountain Home, right next to the desert, and I'm betting that Bogie went out and I would like to think that he just went to sleep out in desert and died. I never found his body, though I looked all over.

I think that, on that last day, Bogie put aside all the pain he was feeling, and he wanted to have one last happy day, (I can't help but cry right now, sorry, have to pause

He wanted to have one last day, the way he used to be, just to say "goodbye"

Maybe he was saying, "Thank you for not putting me to sleep and letting me die my way" ... Have to pause again

I have never met a cat as awesome as Bogie, he was one damn fine cat and I still miss him to this day. If, when we get to heaven, we get back all good things, I hope to God that Bogie will be there, and we can be together again

I love you Bogie "

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi that is so so sad it made me cry i know how you feel buddy i had to have my dog of 14yrs hooch put to sleep due to cancer when the vet said they couldnt do anything for him i just cracked even the vet was crying she said she has never come across anyone like me cracking up the way i did , i said he wasnt just my dog he was my friend to i really miss him

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 03:05 AM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that Osi.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cats rule...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 25, 2014 02:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like cats too, but I've never had a dog run across the beam while I'm watching a film.

-because (you know...)

dogs usually stay down on the floor!

-but there you sit, happily enjoying a film and all of a sudden you have that shadow with those two triangular ears looming across the image because someone is looking nose-first into the lens!

Actually my best cat-film moment was about ten years back when I was projecting "Gone Nutty" and the cat wandered in. All of a sudden she found herself in the same room as a 3 foot tall fanged squirrel.

-nearly stained the rug!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to admit it, but I had a hard time getting bogie to not swat at the film is it gently bounced from the reel to the automatic feed, (that was on my CHINON 9500). I didn't mind Bogie enjoying the experience, just not "immersing" himself to that extant! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 26, 2014 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, about a month ago I was rewinding a full 1200 feet when he whacked at an Elmo jewel reel that was spinning like a saw blade.

-how we didn't wind up at the Vet that day I have no idea!

"His paw was mangled by a what???"

Young cats are dumb cats. They wisen up a lot as they get older and don't do things like this any more!

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can get very attached to cats but they don't have masters - only servants.
Once they get what they want they're off doing their own thing. But that's part of their charm.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 26, 2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I like about cats is they are a lot closer to wild animals than dogs. Dogs were domesticated in prehistoric times, cats: only ancient ones. (Egyptian, I think)

So if you are looking for a friend, definitely go with a dog. If you want a tiny tiger in your house, get a cat.

It's basically the same beast, the difference is mostly size!

--------------------

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 07:08 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Maine Coon kinda acts like a dog. Drools like an open faucet when he gets in purr mode. We also had to put a latch on the refrigerator and child proof locks on the food cabinets because he kept safecracking them. More like a raccoon. Or a Yosemite bear.
But yeah, we do love him.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC