8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Upgrading back to 35MM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Upgrading back to 35MM
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2014 11:22 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When each movie cinema makes the conversion to digital they refer to it as an "upgrade". The few higher end multiplexes in my area that have maintained a 35MM projector in at least one of their theatres and are now bragging about showing the film "Interstellar" on real 35MM. Looks like there are enough people out there who still prefer the real thing and I'm not talking about Coca-Cola. By the way, Sundance Cinemas in Houston is showing it in both digital and 35MM. They go on to say no discounts apply to the 35MM screening; discounts are available for the digital screenings.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 29, 2014 11:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actual prints are screened on these shores in a few cinemas. I know the owner of the theatre who showed the only 70mm print of the film in France, he also happens to be the president of the federation of theater owners (the french equivalent to NATO in the US). He told me that, despite the publicity, screening actual film prints of the feature wasn't attracting more people. Members of the general audience just don't care.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 30, 2014 09:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc is right, the general cinema-going public probably never have shown any interest in the process of how a film gets onto their cinema screen.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 30, 2014 03:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like that in a great many things: everybody wants their flight to land safely and on time, but how many really care how a jet engine works?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 30, 2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do [Big Grin]

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2014 04:36 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad they, the cinema, understands marketing value by telling the general public that they are screening it in 35MM. There must be some hope for the general public.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 30, 2014 10:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I did 3 70mm setups for Interstellar using extra equipment of mine. There are pics posted on the main Film-Tech Forum discussion pages...

Look Cinemas

Studio Movie Grill Arlington

Studio Movie Grill Royal

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 02, 2014 11:03 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we are definitely a dying breed. I keep telling my friends we have to go see Interstellar at the 70mm Imax here in NYC. Only one of my friends understood the importance of 70mm! The rest said, "But its so expensive that theatre! We can see it near my house for less. Its the same film". I said "Yes..but its not the same Experience!"
I tried to explain the difference but I'll just show them! Maybe I'll convert another?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2014 01:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interstellar in 5/70 or 15/70 and amazing sound (try 100+dB sub-bass, the rocket launch really sounds like one) is absolutely an experience that can't be replicated in the living room. I fear that on a TV it won't be the same movie.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught 'Interstellar' in Imax in Sydney at the weekend. I was so taken in by the scale of the experience that during the tidal wave sequence, I genuinely started to feel a bit sea sick!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC